Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December 38 Specials
[cool][#0000ff]Caught 3 catfish in 38 degree water at Willard today. They were special. They were all I caught during 5 hours of aggressive prospecting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wildcat94 and I hit Willard Bay north marina this morning. Launched about 8:30. Air temp was 24 at launch and warmed to the flip number of 42 when we got off the water about 1:30. Noticed some ice forming along the edges of the south shoreline inside the marina. Won't be long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both started inside the marina and worked both the docks and the open areas. Very few fish on sonar inside but Bryce did find some crappie schooled up at the docks. Just couldn't get them to open their little mouths. Nada, Zip, Zilch, Zero. Me too nothing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No bites at all inside the marina for me. Bryce had a couple of pop and drops on bait. I kicked outside and worked the humps outside the marina. Saw some fish in 16 feet of water but again, no takers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Dragged a minnow on one rod while tossing a bunch of different plastics on the other. Finally got my first runner on bait about 11:30. Cookie cutter kitty. Skunk repellent. I was getting worried.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got two more of the same over the next hour or so and then we had to leave. That was when the cold west wind laid down and it got glassy. Standard.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Wildcat94 stayed inside the harbor and even got out of the water and walked the docks, trying to bag a crappie or two. Didn't do any better on foot. Just one of those days...or nights. Full moon last night for those that might want to use it as an excuse.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All in all a pretty day. Better spent on the water than at home. Got enough cookies for a kitty grill for me and TubeBabe. Good enough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Is that a fly rod I see there big dady?

Peter
[signature]
[quote peter805]Is that a fly rod I see there big dady?

Peter[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Almost, but not quite. That is my 12 foot crappie rod...my "dipstick". I brought it along for working small jigs next to the docks. It worked great but the crappie didn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sharp eyes guy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][quote peter805]Is that a fly rod I see there big dady?

Peter[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Almost, but not quite. That is my 12 foot crappie rod...my "dipstick". I brought it along for working small jigs next to the docks. It worked great but the crappie didn't.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sharp eyes guy.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Ahhhh... a 12-foot version of that 10-foot Cherrywood rod that I have!! What REEL do you use on yours?

(BTW, bought a Zebco 33T-Gold underspin reel for it last night! <g>)
[signature]
"What REEL do you use on yours?"

[cool][#0000ff]That is just the cheapie single action line storage reel that I posted a pic of on the other thread. About a $3 investment. But, it has a spring tension drag and will handle larger fish if needed. I have landed some big cats and a couple of huge carp on that long whippy rod and wimpy reel. Lots of up and down yo-yo action...along with some heavy kicking with the rod back over my shoulder to catch up with big fish taking too much line.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I have had that rod for about 25 years. When I bought it they did not come with a reel seat...only the long foam handle. I had to use twine and tape to secure the reel to the rod.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Just don't let the Asian's at the pond see that!!! They got those things down to a science....LOL
They were eyeballing my 13' spey when I took it down there...LOL
[signature]
"They got those things down to a science....LOL"

[cool][#0000ff]Oh yeah? I'm way ahead of them. I got 'em down PAT.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There is quite a bit of fishing in Asia and the "islands" that incorporates the use of a long pole and a length of line. Wherever good bamboo grows naturally...or is cheap...that is the rod of choice. And it works. And a lot cheaper than if you split it and then glue it back together and put fancy rings and colored thread on it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]