Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ULTRA LITE BAITCASTING
[cool]No fishing for me this week. Weather's too hot...and the fishing ain't. Also, I am acting as "post-op nurse" for TubeBabe. She had thyroid surgery on Thursday. She's doing fine, but no fishing for a few days.

Since I have some "free time", I decided to do some rod repairs. A couple of handles needed replacing. I also decided to get started on building some new rods for ultra light baitcasting. I got a great deal on four blanks from Cabelas a while back...about half off, plus an additional $10 off on each blank when I ordered 3 or more blanks.

I have been experimenting over the last two months with an increased use of baitcasting gear for fishing my light jigs and roadrunners. The results have been great. I have fine tuned the reels to cast down to 1/16 oz jigs on 6# line...ultralight in baitcasting...while using the 7' light action and medium light action spinning rods I usually use with spinning reels.

I still take out a couple of light spinning rigs, with 4# line, but I have been using the baitcasting a higher percentage of the time. I can't toss a jig as far as I can with light spinning gear, but for the way I fish the jigs most of the time, I don't need as much distance. But, I can get a good fifty or sixty feet out with the baitcasting. That is usually enough.

One of the big advantages I have noticed with the use of the casting rigs is a more positive feel of what is going on at the "business end" of the line. I detect more light bites and hook more fish. The last half dozen trips I have made with TubeBabe I have literally "smoked" her in total fish count and in sizes of fish caught. I attribute at least part of the difference to using the baitcast gear.

Another aspect of the baitcasters that I appreciate, over light spinning, is the smoother and more positive drag system. It is common for us to hook large bass and catfish while fishing for the prevalent yellow bass. A 10 pound catfish on light spinning gear can pop the line quickly, if the drag so much as stutters. This has not happened much, because we use good tackle and keep the drag properly set, but we always have to keep adjusting the drag while fighting large fish. When I have hooked the larger ones on baitcasting, a little thumb pressure adds drag, but can be quickly released if the fish makes a power dive.

Most baitcasting fans prefer rods under 6 1/2 feet long. The medium light blanks I got for my new rods are the same 7 foot two-piece sticks I build spinning rods on. The only difference is that I am putting them together with trigger handles and casting guides, rather than the traditional spinning guides and handles.

With the quality, precision and adjustability being built into today's baitcasting reels, it is feasible to spool them with six or even four pound line. Poor quality reels, with loose fitting spools, will allow even heavier line to get loops behind the reel spool and end your fishing with that rod...until you take off the end plate and snip out the tangle. A big part of avoiding this is proper adjustment of the tension control on the side of the reel.

Those who have never used baitcasting gear before should learn by casting heavier weights. Begin with close in targets and progress to greater distance. Casting the extremely light jigs or spinners requires good timing and concentration But, if you already enjoy baitcasting, and want to add a new dimension to your light tackle fishing, I recommend rigging up a light baitcaster on a light spinning rod and playing with it a bit.

Here's a pic of the color combos on my new rods I'm building. I still have to do the color preserver, final trim and epoxy coat finish. Just thought you might like to see some of the wacky colors I do on rods. Doesn't help catch any more fish, but gives me something to look at when they aren't biting.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2657912.jpg]
[signature]
I love baiycasting reels, espesly ultra light.

I broke a 7" rod on friday can it be repiad.

I broke about a foot off the end.

I took it to LFS and he is going to see if it is under a warenty.

I sure hope so, 100 dollar rods are hard to come by.

I should get into making my own.

any tips let
[signature]
[cool]I have repaired a lot of broken tips. However, because I need to insert a short piece of smaller diameter rod material inside, it alters the action a bit. On a fast tip rod, this will make a flat spot.

If you can't get a warranty replacement either ship it to me or bring it when your local kin get a visit...or send it back and I'll pickit up. I guarantee I can put it back together. But, I won't guarantee it will feel the same as before.
[signature]
Hey Tube Dude,

Finally got back in the good old tube and fished with Joe and Chris. Did Ok but I got smoked by Chris both dayz and Joe the last day, but whatever. I haven't posted in a while on the Tubin board mainly just read reviews.

I fished those smoke colored grubs you sent and like a 1/16oz lead head. The bright orange seemed to work really good and so did the red. Orange plastics seemed to work good for Joe on Thursday and that seemed to be the only color that I didn't have with me!

What kind of UL bait casting setup are you using? I have a Small Abu Garcia Black Max that I use exclusively for bay fishing and Sand bass fishing with six lbs. I have it mounted on a 7'6" Fenwick east coast special edition rod I think that is supposed to be used for redfish?? Really parabolic and is like an Ugly stick rod, I've even bounced a few legal cuda on that setup with the six lbs!!!

Good posting here again,

Aaron
[signature]
there is no way you were bouncing cuda on that rod! no way! haha[laugh][laugh][laugh][sly][sly][sly][sly][laugh]

joe
[signature]

Hi TubeDude,

Beautiful wrappings. Then again, after seeing and appreciating your fine workmanship on the roadrunners and jigs you have done, I wasn't at all suprised.

Sorry to hear about TubeBabe. I kind of hope she didn't read the 'smoked her' comment. She will either have a relapse or get so bent out of shape she will recover twice as fast to get out there and 'smoke you'. ha ha

Another point on using a baitcaster or conventional reel is that you can use (cast decent distances) some of the new braid or co-polymer lines and have a line with a 6 pound test rating have a line diameter of 2lb test. Some of these same lines are not coffee grinder friendly.

Using an ultralite, soft rod will 'make up' for the non-stretch properties in the braid lines. All this while the braided line gives you the added sensitivity you would expect only in a stiffer rod. It sure seems that way to me when vertical jigging or casting to drift in the tube.

On the rod repair, do they still have those round, tapered white nylon rod-like pieces that I used to repair rods with? The nylon material was fairly stiff at the butt. It came in 2 or 3 foot lengths. I drilled a hole in the furle of the tip top and just dropped the piece (thickness was from 1 1/2 the diameter of a match head to the diameter of a match stick. I got these at an army surplus store and heaven only knows what they were originally used for.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Aaron, good to have you back aboard. I figured you were working hard and playing hard during the summer. Are you putting in a lot of time on the boat?

I have a couple of the "East Coast" rods too. I lived in New Orleans for awhile and fished the redfish and sea trout a lot. Down there they also call them "poppin'" rods...because they fish popping corks a lot. They hang a shrimp or a jg about three feet under a bottom-weighted float, cast it out and then jerk the rod to make it pop...calling in the fish in the shallow and often murky coastal marshes. The extra length helps handle the float rig and makes longer popping sweeps. I find that these rods are also great for fishing crankbaits and other lures that require you to let the fish load up the rod before you set the hooks.

But, you know what? I had more success fishing the same stuff you guys are using on the west coast...lead heads and plastics. I used mostly 1/8 oz or 1/4 oz heads with 3" twisters and 4" or 5" swimbaits...sassy shad. Natural colors worked well when the water was clear. Then, when the water was murky I went to chartreuse with a hot red head. In the pic below, the largest redfish weighed 13 pounds...one of my biggest from a float tube. The four smaller fish are average size sea trout.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0011035.jpg]

On my ultralight baitcasting rigs right now, I am using mostly Shimano Bantams and a couple of old Garcia Lite Plus. They are not top of the line in terms of cost or bearings, but they handle the light stuff well and have the guts to beat up on the occasional biggun I hook. I am experimenting with some "specials" I got both from Cabela's and BassPro. They are their own private label reels. So far, they reinforce the old saying that "you get what you pay for." I have found this to be the case with baitcasting reels. But, then not everybody has four hundred dollars to buy the top of the line reels either. I guess I need to win the lottery or find a sponsor.

Don't stay away so long.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Ron. Good point on the superlines. The only problem in the smallest diameters is the tendency to slip behind even the tightest fitting spools. That's about the only reason I stick with my Excalibur super mono. It is smaller diameter than many other 6# rated lines, but just thick enough to keep it from throwing a coil behind the spool. It is also a bit less costly than the braids. But, the braids rule when you need more power and less diameter...and want to fish the big nasties. The sensitivity is great too. And, as you mentioned, that stuff just doesn't work as well on spinning reels, although some guys use it and swear by it.

I don't know about the white rod repair stuff. Probably one of those things that have forever disappeared and we will never know what the original use was for.

I have accumulated a large stock of bits and pieces of rods over the years...of all diameters. Some are from my own broken sticks. Others I have picked up where frustrated "tanglers" have left them after breaking them on a fishing trip. It is rare that I cannot find a match in diameter to the stick I need to mend with an insert. I first eposy it in place, and then do an overwrap and epoxy finish on the outside. In most cases, the mend is stronger than the rod...and mostly invisible, if I use the right thread. The only negative is that it creates a "flat spot" in the action. But, when you have a favorite rod, you hate to just chuck it if it can be repaired. And in the heat of battle, what's a little flat spot among fishermen?

Did you ever get up to northern California, or were you too busy chasing the local salt water fishies?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]I love ultra light bait casting. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I have two Calcutta 50's, one was made in the us, and one was made in Japan. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]They are they same reel but completely different. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]But they work on small jigs, fly lining worms, 1/8 oz jigs, and the drag system is awesome.[/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Courier New"][size 2]Do u sell any rods?[/size][/font]

[font "Courier New"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Fish tremble at the mention of my name[/font][/size]
[signature]
[cool]I don't make anything to sell, but if you want a custom stick, you can buy the components and I'll put it together for you. We can trade out a guided fishing trip on Perris for value.

I'm actually kinda low on rods. I'm down to my last 50 or so. It's good I have a large family of kids and grandkids to keep them thinned down or I would probably have too many.

I could always adopt you.
[signature]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I collect old deep sea rods, surf rods;[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I got an eye for junk and a eye for the good stuff,[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Berkley is what I look for in deep sea casting rods. I have a few that are 15 to 20 feet long. I have a ton of old DAM Quick reels they are in ment condtion.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]They are all tuned up with new line ready to go.[/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]
[signature]
I love to read Tubedudes post , they are long but packed full of usefull information.

What a gift this guy is to me.

I wish there was somthing we all could do to say or show our appreciation.
[signature]
Nice wrapping! I've put together 3 flyrods and wrapping them nicely was a challenge. I went for the minimalist approach (1 color), but at times wish I had spent more time doing multicolor wraps.

I went on a scouting mission Sat evening. I hopped on my bike and took a ride down the Provo. I couldn't believe the number of carp up in the river. 40-50 in some holes. I wonder if they are spawing at all. Didn't cast to them, I just wanted to check out that section of the river. I love where I live! I have a pvc rod holder setup for my bike. I'll have to post a pic when I take one.

ES
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Mr. Scud. Glad you are getting settled into your new location and that is proving to be all that you had hoped. I look forward to seeing your bike rod holder.

I have been hearing about the carp in the lower Provo. My theory is that the spawn is long over, and that is not the reason for their upstream migration. There are a couple of "tropisms" besides procreation that move fish into new habitat...food and temperature.

Carp do feed heavily on the spawn and fry of other species...some which use the lower Provo as a nursery. They also feed on aquatic plants and insects. They also like cooler and cleaner water whenever it is available. Their natural habitat in Europe and Asia is clear rivers. However, they are adept at quickly turning any water into what Utah Lake has become...murky and bereft of vegetation.

The third factor is the "herd instinct". Carp are often schooling fish...except for the very big ones. Where one goes, others go...and still more follow to see what the big attraction is.

Your bike riding brings back memories. When I attended that institution of higher learning, on the hill above Orem, I lived in a basement apartment just off Center Street in Provo. I rode my old 3-speed back and forth to the harbor at least once or twice a day...usually to fish, but sometimes to just ride along the river and watch whatever I could find to watch. I envy you your new home.

On the rod wrapping thing, once you learn the basics, you can practice new stuff all the time. I am thinking about doing a pictorial on the step by step process of wrapping multicolors. There are lots of good websites that can provide basic info, but, like fly tying, we all develop our own little tricks and techniques.
[signature]
TubeDude!

you just let me know when your schedule opens up... I will send over my rod orders.

as for payments I believe we can work something out....haha...

TubeBabe... wishing you a speedy recovery! Hope to see y'all this year or sooner!

Minh
[signature]
The only drawback is the mosquitos. I put some repellant on, but whenever I stopped to peek into the water, them little buggers found a place that didn't have bug dope on them. Time to wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt.

I've heard a diet high in Vit E helps keep the little vampires away. Any suggestions????
[signature]
[cool]Hi, Halibut. I don't know if I will have time in my busy schedule to make any more rods. But, I can always MAKE time to go fishing. Do you know how that works?

How are you feeling these days, and are you getting to go fishing at all?
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Nate, I have heard of a lot of theories about diet being a factor in the attraction for biting insects. I don't think I have seen anything definitive on the subject. I believe if there was something that would work 100% of the time, for 100% of the people, we would have heard of it by now.

In the meantime, just cover up your pretty legs and pump that bike faster than the skeeters can fly. Also, check in on the thread on the Utah board about bug repellents. If you haven't ever tried that Avon Skin So Soft, give it a try on a small area. If it works, and you can stand the smell, you are home free.
[signature]
Ive been alright... check up here and there with the doctors... couple of hours here and there to wet the the line and try out different riggings and a couple of road runner jigs to try out...other than that I have aquired a couple (few) pieces of gear. Just need more time in the day to wet line and try out the new gears. They said it was gonna be hot over here the whole week... are you getting a heat wave over there as well?

Halibut
[signature]
[cool]No heat wave yet. It has only reached 116 in the shade...and there is no shade. We are still wearing our heavy coats and have snow tires on our cars. We are hoping the warm weather gets here soon so we can quit running our furnaces all day.

Seriously, the heat has just about shut down most of our close-in fishing. If you want to fish at night, you can get a few largemouths and some catfish. But, with water temperatures above 85 degrees, there aren't many fish that stay in the shallows and feed during daylight hours.

That is why this time of year all of the smart (and rich) people leave Arizona for the summer. You will see lots of Arizona license plates along the beaches for the next couple of months. Down in San Diago, a popular getaway destination for Phoenix residents, we are known as "Zonies".
[signature]