Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ULTRALIGHT BAITCASTING
[cool][size 1]No fishing for me this week. Weather's too hot...and the fishing ain't. Also, I am acting as "post-op nurse" for TubeBabe. She had thyroid surgery on Thursday. She's doing fine, but no fishing for a few days.

Since I have some "free time", I decided to do some rod repairs. A couple of handles needed replacing. I also decided to get started on building some new rods for ultra light baitcasting. I got a great deal on four blanks from Cabelas a while back...about half off, plus an additional $10 off on each blank when I ordered 3 or more blanks.

I have been experimenting over the last two months with an increased use of baitcasting gear for fishing my light jigs and roadrunners. The results have been great. I have fine tuned the reels to cast down to 1/16 oz jigs on 6# line...ultralight in baitcasting...while using the 7' light action and medium light action spinning rods I usually use with spinning reels.

I still take out a couple of light spinning rigs, with 4# line, but I have been using the baitcasting a higher percentage of the time. I can't toss a jig as far as I can with light spinning gear, but for the way I fish the jigs most of the time, I don't need as much distance. But, I can get a good fifty or sixty feet out with the baitcasting. That is usually enough.

One of the big advantages I have noticed with the use of the casting rigs is a more positive feel of what is going on at the "business end" of the line. I detect more light bites and hook more fish. The last half dozen trips I have made with TubeBabe I have literally "smoked" her in total fish count and in sizes of fish caught. I attribute at least part of the difference to using the baitcast gear.

Another aspect of the baitcasters that I appreciate, over light spinning, is the smoother and more positive drag system. It is common for us to hook large bass and catfish while fishing for the prevalent yellow bass. A 10 pound catfish on light spinning gear can pop the line quickly, if the drag so much as stutters. This has not happened much, because we use good tackle and keep the drag properly set, but we always have to keep adjusting the drag while fighting large fish. When I have hooked the larger ones on baitcasting, a little thumb pressure adds drag, but can be quickly released if the fish makes a power dive.

Most baitcasting fans prefer rods under 6 1/2 feet long. The medium light blanks I got for my new rods are the same 7 foot two-piece sticks I build spinning rods on. The only difference is that I am putting them together with trigger handles and casting guides, rather than the traditional spinning guides and handles.

With the quality, precision and adjustability being built into today's baitcasting reels, it is feasible to spool them with six or even four pound line. Poor quality reels, with loose fitting spools, will allow even heavier line to get loops behind the reel spool and end your fishing with that rod...until you take off the end plate and snip out the tangle. A big part of avoiding this is proper adjustment of the tension control on the side of the reel.

Those who have never used baitcasting gear before should learn by casting heavier weights. Begin with close in targets and progress to greater distance. Casting the extremely light jigs or spinners requires good timing and concentration But, if you already enjoy baitcasting, and want to add a new dimension to your light tackle fishing, I recommend rigging up a light baitcaster on a light spinning rod and playing with it a bit.

Here's a pic of the color combos on my new rods I'm building. I still have to do the color preserver, final trim and epoxy coat finish. Just thought you might like to see some of the wacky colors I do on rods. Doesn't help catch any more fish, but gives me something to look at when they aren't biting.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2657912.jpg] [/size]
[signature]