Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry skunks me yet again
I got out and float tubed the berry today. Fished the whole mud creek arm. It was really cold, and icy. so cold my reel and rod eyes kept freezing solid. I fished the ice shelf and caught a lot of moss... I did manage to get one hook set, and he ran me down into a bush where he snagged me so bad I had to break my line. I tried buggers of every size and color, I tried leeches, scuds, even small nymphs. Nothing was working today. I stayed out all day from 8 until dark. Large fish started surfacing around the ice edge right around dusk, I did try casting to them, with no luck. I think I am done with the berry til ice. I think when ice off happens I am going to require some guidence in the streamer fishing on still water lakes.
[signature]
Sorry FB2. Can't say you didn't try.
Give a shout at first ice off...you WILL get into fish!
[signature]
That's sucks I'm sorry. It's too bad that it wasn't warm. I know I had a frustrating day this summer up there where I kept having big fish get loose when I was bringing them in. Anyway, I was mad about the day and stopped off on the Strawberry river. In less then an hour I catch 50 little cutts. Anyway, you'll get them next year, don't worry.
[signature]
I will get out on the ice and I will catch a few... not on my fly rod though. That is ok, I am going out to the blue lakes in the west desert in the next week, Spend a few days on warm water. I am definately bringing the fly rod.
[signature]
Looks killer. Can't wait for your report. Where do you stay out there?
[signature]
That's really crappy! I do have something that does help with the iced up rod eyes...try either savex or carmex. They will help keep the ice out of your eyes. it works great for me on the middle during Jan.
[signature]