Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
water temps
going to pick myself up a float tube next week cant afford waders as of yet so i'll be fishing some of the warmer lakes here in utah my question is what is the water temp that is save to go tubing in with out adverse affects of hypotheria 70 and above is all right yes
[signature]
[cool]Once you get a float tube, you can no longer claim to be totally sane, so you can fish waderless in any temperature water you want. It's a matter of personal tolerance.

My personal experience in Utah was that Willard and the other lowland waters were comfortable after about the first of July. Iished up until almost Labor day on Willard without waders...even a lot of night trips. It looks like float tubes might be the only craft on Willard if the water keeps dropping.

As far as general guidelines, temperaturewise, I typically wear waders for water under 70, but may wear them up to 75, if I launch in the morning...or fish at night...when the air temps are going to be a bit chilly. A couple of extra degrees of warmth on your lower sections can make a difference in your overall comfort.

In my younger years, I fished the salt water in California without waders and the temps were rarely as warm as 70. I gotta admit there were cold water trips in water around 60 that I walked kinda stiff legged if I made it back up on the beach without falling on my behind.

I would never recommend fishing high country lakes without waders. When you get your core temperature too low, you risk hypothermia, and that ain't good...no matter how great the fishing is.

Hope that helped...and hope the budget allows for some waders before the fall temps move in.
[signature]
thanks for the info dude i'll be investing in a pair of waders with in the month are maybe a fishfinder hhhmmm waders finder waders fishfinder i;m so Confused

chris
[signature]
[cool]At least you have a question to which there is an answer. Now, if you were to ask me the key to figuring out women...

(Sorry, Honey. Ouch, Ouch)
[signature]
I would recommend that you don't get any waders thicker than 3mm. You can always layer when it gets colder, but you can't unlayer when it gets hot. In the summer months, I'll wear a light pair of socks and shorts under my waders. The neopreme will insulate me from the really cold stuff, and it'll be a nice temp.

If you do wear shorts though, wait until you get next to the water to put the waders on. Otherwise, you'll sweat like a maniac. You can find some really good prices on-line, my last pair of waders cost $35 (hodgeman neopreme) on an internet closeout.

Good luck on your decision! Personally, I would go waders 1st, fishfinder 2nd. That way I can fish during the cold season instead of sitting at home looking at my fishfinder.

ES
[signature]