Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter doldrums
[cool][#0000ff]Man, it sure has been quiet around here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishin][#ff0000]You're right about that. I guess all the tubers and tooners have gone into hibernation.[/#ff0000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, with all of this cold and snow the past week I am resigned to the fact that I have probably taken my last tubing trip for the year. All of the ponds I fish are gettin' kinda "crusty".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishin][#ff0000]I know whatcha mean. Time to get out the ice auger and the sled.[/#ff0000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This is the time of year I start going back and looking at old pictures of the times I spent in the warm water on the sunny beaches of the Sea of Cortez. I never had to dodge ice chunks in the water down there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Heck, I'd even settle for San Diego. Lotsa good tubing down there. Colder than Mexico but warmer than Utah.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[fishin][#ff0000]It's really getting bad when I have to talk to myself on a forum.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]Hope everybody survives the winter. Happy holidays.[/#ff0000]
[signature]
I think about trying my luck for some cats every day. Yesterday the temp was 7 degrees here in Buhl. I might just have to wait until spring now.
I bought a new gimble mount about a week ago for my FF and mounted it. Now my tube and my toon both have full set ups and the display is the only part I move between the two. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been busy with non-fishing activities too. I finished my new "super sushi" apron.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "SUPER SUSHI.jpg"]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "SUPER SUSHI 2.jpg"]

[#0000ff]I have also been working to finish up the chapters of my new CD/book on "Tackle Craft"...jig making, fly tying, rod building, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If the weather calms down a bit I might still get in one or two more tube trips. I'll be sure to take along an ice chipper so I can get out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That was great TD, I said to myself...[laugh]

I am running a special (sorry on another forum) that is good here for any ff.
The special is buy two of my Furled leaders and get the third free
Plus taking Xmas orders, so that is keeping me off the street and waters.
Plus I am officially in 4 different fly swaps now......."Let it Snow!"[sly]
[signature]
I for one am not putting the tube fully away for another month or so.. I have decided I WILL be taking my tube to blue lake.. if for no other reason then some comic releife to liven up the forum.
Ice fishing and tackle craft. that my plans for the winter, but only when there is no fresh powder on the mountains. If im going to be cold... might as well be skiing.
[signature]
Ok, for the sake of posting..

Got these from the tube on the day after Thanksgiving. Haven't been tubing much due to major wader leakage and a busy schedule. Just some dumb (but nice) stockers. Not evident in the pic, but the smallest was around 1.5 and the biggest were around 3.

Also got out for about an hour yesterday, but I was in my big 17' sparkly fiberglass "tube".
[signature]
TubeDude wrote:[/quote]
[fishin][/b][#ff0000][/#ff0000]It's really getting bad when I have to talk to myself on a forum.[/b]
[/b][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/b]
[/b][#ff0000][/#ff0000]Hope everybody survives the winter. Happy holidays.[/b][/quote]

Hahahahahaahah[Smile] Thats funny TD. I was wondering
what was that about. But hey its all good my friend.
I talk to my self all the time.
My work finally picked up so back to work for me[Smile], which
is very good after not working much for like 4-5 mounts.
Im hoping to do a little tubing during the holidays.I will
post about it when the time comes.
Till then I just keep my eye on YOU big guy.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
Good job Scott .
Stockers are better then nothing. Try those on like a 3WT
fly rod and you see what Im talking about.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It's okay to talk to yourself. It's even okay to argue with yourself. But it's not okay to lose the argument.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you are back to work. Good luck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Put my tube away, almost a month ago. November here (Omaha, NE) was unusually cold. I got out once or twice, but didn't get a bite (LMB). The water wasn't all that cold - by you guys' standards - at upper 40's... but when you're wet (leaky waders) AND no bites, well it's just not that much fun.

Since then, I got a new pair of Orvis Silver Label II breathable waders off eBay. (Hope they work since I won't be able to test them until spring.)

Got a new "underspin" reel for my "dippin'" rod (right TD!).

And have been saving pictures of rod-holder and "finder" set-ups. The plan is to get a new tube after the first of the year, and then get everything set-up for spring.

It's also a good time of the year to look for, and rummage through clearance bins. It's surprising how much GREAT stuff you can find... (that I really didn't need hahaha).

Sent in new subscriptions to In-Fisherman and "Bassin'".

I've also been starting my planning for a vacation to north-central Minnesota next September, and - like TD - dreaming of warmer days to come.

OH... and checking HERE every day for some fishing news to satisfy my fishing-addiction! <g>

P.S. Regarding weather, forgot to mention our 5* temps and 3-4" of snow we got last night. AND, round-two is coming tonight/tomorrow - another 8-12" of snow WITH 25-35 mph winds. Yeah, I think I'm done tubin' until spring... [:/]
[signature]
[Smile]Thank you TD
[signature]
Yes thanks TD, I have starrted to switch over to icein around, so working on the gear and sled and trying to ind ice close by.
[signature]
[quote peter805]Good job Scott .
Stockers are better then nothing. Try those on like a 3WT
fly rod and you see what Im talking about.[Wink]

Peter[/quote]

Oh, I know. In fact the next time I try I will probably wipe the dust off my 5wt. and make catching dumb stockers feel a little more respectable.
[signature]
Yes it has been quite quiet. I have been thinking it is time to go drill a couple of holes. Since it has been so cold I think Utah lake should be a good place to go. open for other places too. I am thinking either monday or wednesday. Tuesday is filled up by mamatrout already. Only problem I have is with the cold, we really don't get along very well but I am ready to take the challenge head on.[:p] Haven't been out drilling holes since 2002.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]This is a good time and a bad time. Good and cold for freezing the lakes solid enough for safe ice fishing. Bad for those of us who fish for enjoyment and not endurance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a new ice auger and am making a bunch of new jigs and goodies for the next three months of drillin' and chillin'. But, you can bet that as soon as one of my tubing venues opens in the spring I will abandon the silly ice fishin' stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake is freezing nicely. Most of the harbors are about frozen solid. Won't be long until the main lake caps. Already some good catches being made for those who know where and how.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mantua is one of the first on my list. Always enjoy a few trips there each winter. Hoping there will be a couple of spots with some decent perchin' this winter. Pineview is a good possible for both perch and crappies...if the snow doesn't fill in all of the parking areas again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]