Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strike Master Auger?
So I've read some good reviews about the Strike Master Lazer Mag gas auger. I think I'm going to purchase one. Does anyone own this model and could give me feedback?

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I bought an 8" model in January last year. Took two days in my garage to get it started the first time. It is supposed to start in full choke. It wouldn't. It took a combination of holding the throttle down, leaving the choke at about half and pulling the rope. Finally started. These newer models do not have the little priming bulb so you can't squirt gas in to get it started.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fought with it for 4 trips before taking it back to Cabelas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have owned and used Jiffy, Eskimo and strikemasters before. That was the most cantankerous one I ever had. I am assuming I got one that needed adjustment but that should not be the case. If they are properly assembled and tested they should start within a few pulls.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just bought an electric Strikemaster. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I had the same problem with 2 Eskimo augers a few years ago.
Neither would start.
Took them back and finally got a good one.
I think that the only problem was they needed the carb adjusted for our area.
The one that I got that did run has been a great auger with one problem.
The pull start broke at while we were at Fish Lake. This was shortly after I got it.
It was under warranty and was repaired at no cost to me.

Most folks that have Strike Master augers, love them.
Just be sure that it starts easily when you first get it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It is a catch 22 situation. If you make any adjustments you can void a warranty. I learned the hard way so I just leave them alone and return them if they don't work. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been around small motors for many years and can usually fine tune one pretty good. But unless it is out of warranty and I "own" it I am reluctant to correct the factory settings.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we all know, it doesn't matter how good the reputation of a product, you can still get a defective item once in a while. Doesn't mean they are all bad. Over the past few years I think the Strikemasters have enjoyed higher customer satisfaction ratings than most of the Eskimos. It will be interesting to see what happens now that Tecumseh is no longer supplying or servicing the auger motors. I know the guys who have the newer Eskimo augers have had a tough time getting service on their new motors.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have had the same Strikemaster auger for the last 10 years and it has been practically bullet proof. I bought a bigger Eskimo auger last year and returned it after the first trip. My friend did the same with his Jiffy after it had parts flying all over the ice on his first outing.
[signature]
I got the same auger last year @ Cabelas. Pull it out of the box, put it together,put gas in it. First or second pull, it never looked back. I love it. Easy to start,cuts fast. First power auger I have ever had. So can't say much about the others.
[signature]
I bought my first power StrikeMaster about 19/20 years ago,, an 8" Mag (the single"chipper blade" type).. I used the crap out of it every year,, Never had a problem with it other than I had to change the pull rope when it was about 12 years old...
Sold it for kicks 3 years ago (regret that),, and bought a 10" Lazer. And again,, I've never had a problem with it. Starts easy even in the coldest weather and cuts like crazy....
The one thing I dont like about the Lazer, its blades costs a lot more than the single chipper blade on the old Mag,, and I could sharpen the chipper blade fairly easy by myself..
[signature]
I've had two of them, one eight inch that I ran for six yrs. no problems, sold it for almost enough to buy a 10 inch which I did. Love it it cuts great and starts every time. I put a little stable in the gas at the end of the season and it starts quickly the next yr. As far as blades go, running a knife hone over the blades will extend the life and after you have bought a new blade, send the old one as well as the new one, after it gets dull back to strike master and they will re-sharpen then for a reasonable fee. Check the info that came with the unit and it will give you the proper info for re-sharpening. Love the unit. thefishnut
[signature]
Bought the Strike Lite two years ago. Starts like a champ, runs like a top, and I drill a LOT of holes. Weighs in at only 20lbs, which is a huge plus compared to the 30lb norm.
[signature]
I have a strike master and I love it! I have never had a hard time starting it. this will be its 3rd yr and still cuts quick and easy. I use about once everyother week in the winter and will never go with anything else. I have had it in -20 temps and that baby does not hesitate starting up. Love it.
[signature]