Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any ice on causey?
Does any one know if there is ice on Causey. A friend and I were thinking of heading up there this weekend?
[signature]
I was up on Saturday and ice was starting to form with just a little bit of open water in the middle, it was 13 degrees around 10am. If that helps
[signature]
Causey usually takes a little longer to freeze. I wouldn't go this weekend, I think you may be disappointed. Also, be very careful around the edges when you do go, they never seem to freeze up and there's always people getting thier feet/legs wet when getting on the ice.
[signature]
I acutally just got word that there is safe ice up there. Kinda feel like an idiot now [crazy]

Anyway, from what I heard there is 3 solid inches near the dam. I'm going to check it out on Saturday [cool]
[signature]
how thick is the ice.. One mans safe ice is another mans wet feet..[sly] last yr they said safe ice and it was 2 inches.. I went out but was very nervous... [crazy]
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Hey hookjaw I also heard that Causey had some promising ice. If you do go up this weekend,you mind letting me/us know. How your day went. I love Causey and have been choppin at da bit to go up. Just want to get the best possible info available at hand. Lol.. [bobhappy]
[signature]
Those 2 inches of ice produced the first fish of the season and it just happened to be a monster brown. [cool]
[signature]
I can't go Saturday, but I'm heading up there right after work today. I should be up there about 3PM, so if anyone wants to meet me up there and save me if I'm treading water, I would appreciate it [cool].
It's been really cold and I heard someone fished it earlier this week so I think it should be fine. It was -5 in Huntsville this morning, good ice making weather [Wink]

Wish me luck!
[signature]
[quote HookJaw_Brimhall]Those 2 inches of ice produced the first fish of the season and it just happened to be a monster brown. [cool][/quote]

yes it did .. I went the day after the monster was landed... I only got dinks.. [pirate]
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Dang.. I wish I could meet up witch ya..heard there is @ 4" in the dam area.you should be good. Maybe our natures mother gave us another 1/2 to an inch overnight. Good luck and letus know how's ya did will ya.. be careful!![Wink] [fishon]
[signature]
Hey Hookjaw depending on how things go this morning maybe I'll see you there and you can save my sinking butt.[Wink]

DANG I CAN'T WAIT FOR SOME MORE CAUSEY ACTION!!!
[signature]
Thanks alot I went up and got soaked and had to go to the hospital for hypothtermia. Thats the last time I listen to your advice............
[signature]
Were exactly did you go through? at the edge going on or out towards middle... I recieved info from other soarces that there was 4" ice by the dam.
[signature]
About 10 feet out from the bank.
[signature]
LOL [sly], what happened?
The edges at Causey are always wierd, I have gone through every year on the edges, but usually just up the leg a little ways. I'll see if I have a 2x4 I can bring or something. Someone usually puts a board on there to help everybody out.
I think you need to give us a little more info about your little mishap. [laugh]
[signature]
10' out is not the edge that is usually only a couple feet and a 2x4 is even more dangerous this time of year= once you get to the end you are in deeper water. that is for the end of the season. bfter must have started off in an area that the ice was just feshly froze rather than an area that has been building. Sorry for your misshap. were did you start off?

Early season Ice can be dangerous some area may have been building for several days and be solid while a few feet away might be new ice that is thin.
Bfter it is a good idea if you don't know for sure,to toss a big rock out ahead of you before you get on the ice.

I am glad you posted we all need a little reminder to be careful walking on ice.
[signature]
I just talked to Lunkerhunter2 and he was up there for 5 hours yesterday and the ice was safe near the dam. The edges were solid and there was about 4-4.5 inches of ice where they were fishing.
Were you in the scout arm near the creek or what???
[signature]
I hate to say it but it is your own damn fault you fell in. You cant blame someone else for not checking the ice for yourself. That is ridiculous. I hope your joking. If not, I'm glad you diddnt get serious hypo and/or drown. Be careful man.[Wink]
[signature]
+1

I was thinking the same thing, with him being a new member, I bet he just created a fake user name to make the point, of not giving safe ice reports on early ice.

If it did happen, I hope your okay, bet you'll never take someone else's word for safe ice again.
[signature]
You got that right! You can never just take off onto the ice without checking thickness as you go. That's the responsibility of the individual.
[signature]