Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2010 GENERAL DEER HUNT CHANGES
Looks like all of us that hunt the Ogden and Cache valley areas with a rifle will only have 3 days to seal the deal next year. The DWR just passed the new dates and the whole state is going to 5 day hunts. The areas with less than 15:100 buck to doe ratios are going to a 3 day hunt (Ogden unit, Cache unit, uinta basin, and others).

I think it will be good for the herds, but alot of people are going to be pretty upset about it.

[font "Helv"][size 2][font "Helv"][size 2]http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-12/rifle_hunt.php
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
I'm with you, I think it is good for the herds. I usually don't hunt more than 5 days anyway. I do think it will push hunters into other areas, especially after the 3 days are up.
[signature]
I read something about this last week and from what I gather if you're 18 or under you can hunt nine days in all but a few specific locations. Does this mean that young hunters will be able to hunt nine days in Southeastern? It's been a five day hunt for years.
[signature]
I think it's gay- all of it. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. I don't think there will be much benefit from it either. Most deer are taken on opening weekend anyway.[crazy]
[signature]
Utah deer hunters just got another raw deal[:/] but don't we always...
[signature]
Our deer hunts in WY. look better & better every year. Don't mind paying the extra bucks at all.[Smile]
[signature]
[mad] With the shorter season they should also make the deer tags less cost ! like that's going to happen [frown]
[signature]
I read an article where a biologist flat out said that there has been NO herd improvements shown by shortening any of the seasons thus far...he even had numbers from the southern unit that was shortened several years ago and saw no improvement. I'll find a link to it.
But then again...that's Utah. Idaho hunters are really going to hate this...imagine how many more Utah hunters will take the hit in the wallet and buy idaho tags next year so they actually have a hunt.
I guess i shouldn't say much i haven't hunted the rifle hunt for 4 years now. I just feel that there must be some other ways to help the herds that the DWR is overlooking. Improving instead of decreasing winter feed areas might be a big help.
[signature]
The logical thing to do when the herds are suffering would be to "Reduce Tag numbers". Obviously the DWR wouldn't do that because that means "Less Money" for them. So to try and fix the problem without losing money, they decided on this 3 day hunt. I don't think it will affect the hunting very much, but it will give the deer some much needed space, and less pressure for less time.
[signature]
I can only speak for myself here but i too have not hunted the rifle season for many years either. Mainly because I hate putting in all the time, money and energy to go put myself into the best position I can be in and when it gets light, There are 10,000 people everywhere you look!

Then, Seems some one blasts off a round that literally scares the hell out of you.

So, i would entertain most any idea to help with increasing the herds. I would look at a general draw that makes it so you could only get a tag every third year or something along those lines. Yes, I know that will never happen cause the state couldnt take the hit on the $$$$.

I would purchase a voucher each year, kinda like a point that helps fund the $$$$ needed to survive, but give me a better hunt oppertunity for a nice buck, then also a better hunt experience all teh way around.

Families could still go, have a great camp out/hunt together and still keep the traditions.

Hell, I pay 50.00 bucks for a point in wyoming each year. Why not do the same here to get a better hunt.

Ok, just me two cents!
[signature]
Not a bad idea, but I don't think very many people want to wait 3 years to hunt. If you think about it that means in 20 years you would only get to hunt deer six times instead of twenty.
I think the best bet would be to pull out the old "Micro management plan" That they have presented to the board many times and keep bugging them until the decide to pass it. We already manage the herds in these micro units, and COs are assigned a micro unit to cover as well. All it would take is an evaluation for tag numbers and there you go, we have a great management plan in order. Less pressure, More hunts, and bigger bucks. Why not pass it???????
[signature]
I agree. Something has to change. what we have now is broke. needs to be fixed
[signature]
From what I have heard they are looking into th emicro units idea again. Possibly in time for the "big change" in 2011. The biggest complaint I have heard against it, is that families won't be able to hunt together. I personally don't buy that argument, and I enjoy being free to hunt Monte, Logan, Uinta's, etc. in the same year, but I would support a micro unit idea for better herd growth.
There are alot of people that are only thinking about how it will mess up their hunt, which it may, but we all know it is better for the animals. Guys just need to adapt and overcome, and they will be successfull again.

On a side note, did you know that if you get the Buck/Bull combo tag you get to hunt deer for the whole elk season (14 days?)?

I'll be back behind the arrow for next year- or until I get a good buck with my bow.
[signature]
They didn't listen to there own people this year. Until they start listening to there own people the "Micro management plan" would only give them more people to ignore. Seems like money talks and the general public walks.
[signature]
[quote Elkoholic]we all know it is better for the animals.[/quote]

Actually, I don't know that- assuming you're referring to the most recent changes. In fact, that's the issue I have here. I don't think the fact that this will benefit the animals has ever been qualified. In my humble opinion, it won't have the positive impact that they're trying to sell here.

It angers me that they won't even consider lowering the number of overall permits, which would naturally decrease their revenue. Not a coincidence. Effers!
[signature]
If the DWR thinks people will pay for a 3 day crap hunt they are in for a rude wakening. This is a way to get there money and not have a hunt all at once.
[signature]
They seem to keep chiping away bit by bit on the hunts, eventually the tree huggers may get there way.[mad]
[signature]
the thing that has happened to the deer on the ogden and cache unit is the major winter kill they had year before last.we started feeding in middle dec. as always, and the fish and game never started till it was to late as usual.i fed over 170 head that year and only had a couple of dead ones in the spring.and they would have died regardless.they were older does all the fawns did great.and the fawn production the following spring was awasome most had twins.it all boils down to winter range,and what the state is willing to do. and it aint much cause they dont have the funds.
[signature]
In addition to what you stated, add the mortality rate of teh deer that are killed by automobiles in those to areas also. WOW. More deer hit than you think by cars.
[signature]
that and them stinking lions,but we keep them in check,already killed one tom.
[signature]