Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starting first tournaments
i was going to be trying to enter some local tournaments this spring and i was wondering what i need.
for a live well i was going to get a big cooler and use a airater , woud this be enough, i have a small boat and motor i can use

any hints on what else besides the obvious, pole reel,etc.
i am hoping to make a little money doing this but i would be happy just competing

btw these are just small local tournaments were the max prize is 1200 so nothing big but enough to finance my addiction to fishing if i even come close to that

also how competitive are they in general, i know it varies???????
[signature]
Their very competitive and theirs always a couple of ringers in every one. Check with the tourney rules, because some have requirements on the boat you use. Some tin can series you can use an aerator.
[signature]
A livewell is VERY important. Most of the tournaments that I fish are local tournaments and we measure, verify with the non-boater and release. The weigh-in tournaments that I fish all five fish must be alive or you will be deducted points.
I suggest that you start out as a non-boater and learn the ropes. Etiquette, rules and so forth. Plus you will learn more from other anglers than you can imagine.
Find a local club in your area and attend one of their meetings and they will be able to help you with regulations as well as info. on the tournaments and how to join.
As far as the competition goes...two years running I've had angler of the year and big fish of the year in my club, they are all happy for me but nothing would make them happier than to take me down lol. It's fun and fishing but in the end the point of a competition is to win and to do that as a boater you need to be tournament ready. Layout of the lake, patterns, sonar and most important the right tackle. I'm not trying to squash your dreams, don't get me wrong, but you can gain alot of experience by competing as a non-boater. I learned alot myself as a non-boater, in fact, I owe alot to the boaters I fished with. They had the fancy boat that could travel from one end to the other 60+mph, livewells, graphs, the right gear etc. and then I finally got a bass boat of my own. With all the money I've spent in the last ten years maybe I should have taken up golf...[Wink]
[signature]
Fisherman it is not the size of the boat that matters it is how you use it. I know some qplayers that have boats that run top speed 45 mph. If you have confidence playing the game or tournament, so be it. Some of the very best are the older ones that sit back and don't buy all the fancy gadgets. A big bucket with an aerator should do the trick, but watch out and make sure you put a lid on it, or you'll get slapped in the face with water. Confidence my friend is what you need to have with the big boys, so you are a competitor. Be careful out there and were a life jacket at all times.
[signature]
thanks, so a big cooler with a lid sounds like it would work then, and knowing me i woundn't go far, since i learned to fish from the bank, i will just fish a spot thoroughly and not have to run around, and dont worry iwil wre a life jacket,
y the way what have you heard about fishing tournaments from shore
[signature]
Fish for the love fishing, but money is nice to. Good luck.
[signature]
Hey man, if you fish because you love fishing, then you need to stay away from tournaments. Try a few, and tell me what you think? Now I enjoy fishing but I'm in tournaments for the money. You will definately find it very competitive and some very serious. Anytime there is money involved brings out some leud behavior too.

Anyway good luck to you!

[cool]
[signature]
I fish two a month now , at one time it was four a week, it traveling 300and450 round trip cold, tired, wet so don't tell me about it cut throat and my shit don,t stink attitude
Have been a member of one club for 21 years.
[signature]
i know what you mean but i figure if i can fish and make some money, then why not try. Btw are there also shore divisions in some because i am much ore comfortable from shore, as i have used boat much
[signature]
Money is good, just don,t let people get under your skin, we all start some were i remember those day. Good luck.
[signature]
thanks, and it takes a lot to get under my skin, so i think ill be fine, what are the chances of me placing in a small local tournament, in all precious derby's I've been in the only reason i didn't win was because i didn't want to use live minnows and i think i have put in more hours fishing for bass than any other year old in the state, or close to it
[signature]
Your chances are good, but then again live bait is hard to beat. what were you, saying in the last line of your last post.
[signature]
i was saying that i think i have either put in more hours bass fishing ten another 16 year old in ri or am very close to it, its good though, no live bait is allowed in ri bass tournaments, so thats good for me bad for others
[signature]
I like your attitude,if you have any fishing questions i can help you with, just let me know. And good luck.
[signature]
thanks, i might take you up on that at some point
[signature]