Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand loads
Does anybody have any pointers on some hand loads?? Ive got ruger m77 mk2 in 300 win mag and also a 223 in rem 700 sbss.
From reading forums and mags, there are so many options i dont know where to start. Im thinking of a 165 gr for the 300 and somethin under 55 gr for the 223. Its got a 1/12 twist
Any help would be very much appreciated

How did everybody do on the quacker shoot this year?
[signature]
I don't reload but the site, center fire central is a good site?

It's not over yet but my year has been bad, going to hit some of my honey holes before it's over. I love ice up and big mallards.[Wink]
[signature]
Ill check that out for sure. Thanks for the tip.
The year started off really really slow. But the few weeks before we got this nasty cold in it was really startin to pick up. Was able to start pulling limits. But now what i was huntin is frozen solid so its time to start back at ground zero and start lookin for them fat northerners
Even got my first cinny teal this year.
[signature]
I've been reloading for a few years and almost all .223. I too have a 1/12 twist. I have had great success using the Varget powder from Hodgdon. My best load is 26.5 grs with a 55gr V-max. I get super tight groups at 200 yards with it. Another one that i used a lot because i had tons of the powder was H335...25grs with the same bullet or a 55gr SXSP. I had several coyotes shot between 100-200 yards that didn't have an exit wound with that sxsp bullet. I reallly like it and plan on loading up a bunch more of that combo.
I used a 40gr bullet for a while but had a really hard time working up a good load with it for my gun...so i stuck with the 55gr...why fix it if it ain't broke right?
[signature]
[quote usar97]Ill check that out for sure. Thanks for the tip.
The year started off really really slow. But the few weeks before we got this nasty cold in it was really startin to pick up. Was able to start pulling limits. But now what i was huntin is frozen solid so its time to start back at ground zero and start lookin for them fat northerners
Even got my first cinny teal this year.[/quote]

No problem.
Thats the prettiest cinnie I have ever seen! The colors are assume on that bird.
[signature]
The results of Fridays shoot. Was a great mornin to be hunting. Filled the bag in 20 minutes
[signature]
Well obviously it isnt broken for ya lol!!! Ill definatley start out there. Ill be using it for yotes and prairie dogs when i get a chance to get on them.
[signature]
Depending what you will be using the 300 for, the 165 will be fine for anything up through deer. I would recommend 180 or 200 for elk. The 165 is traveling so fast it tears up meat. I have been reloading for 20 years and load for many calibers including target rifle for long distance. I have only used my reloads for elk hunting and never had a problem.

As far as the 223, the 55 gr is best for most situations. I don't recommend it for deer. If is just too fast with no knockdown power. It great to plinking & varmits.
[signature]