Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oneida Narrows
Does anyone know if you can get to the Narrows in the winter? I would love to get up there and try through the ice. This summer I got into some very nice perch. Plus would be fun to hook into a big 'eye on one of those little rods!
[signature]
on the south end you can get up there to just passed the day use area on the dam. that far is plowed by the power company. If you go up and around through Thatcher its plowed down to the hot springs road where there are ppl living there yr round. To get to this way instead of turning right at Riverdale keep going up the hill and you will cross the river and take that right im not sure how many miles this is.....
[signature]
i've fish the river many times during the winter but i have never ice fished the damn, has anyone fished it? was -3 in preston on my way home to logan tonight so should be some good ice on all of the lakes in that area soon!!!
[signature]
I've pulled out perch and one little walleye, that is all i have done when ive ice fished it....
[signature]
using jigs? what area and how deep also?... your pin number to your debit card also if you would
[signature]
Do you ice fish by the dam?

I was thinking of trying it, but I heard stories of the water rescinding so fast the ice doesn't adjust and you have large gaps between the ice and water. Scared me enough to keep me from trying it.

How thick does the ice get out there?
[signature]
lol pin number. Minnows just was sitting there i tried the jigging thing, and nothing i left the pole sitting there and went do another pole and i noticed movement.... maybe a fluke im not sure...
[signature]
I went up around the corner some. this was last year i never had a problem with gaps and what not. I only went one time so.... take it for what its worth.....
[signature]
I've heard that too. walking on ice scares me enough without the added risk. I think I will head that way (to oneida) before long tho. however, I don't think I'll go near the dam
[signature]
i think i will give it a try also. does anyone have gps cords of were they eyes usualy hang?

i have heard the storys of the gap between the ice and the water also but i think they are probly just that stories. i dont know how a foot of ice would have the strength to hold together without something below it. have you ever tried to lift a chunk of solid ice pretty heavy. also i dont think they fluctuate the water lvl like they did. they have that "constant flow" now that they dont rapidly raise the water lvl of lower it, now they do it over a period of time.
[signature]
PM SENT Jigs.....
[signature]
not stories- believe me- looking down thru a hole you drilled and seeing the water 10 feet below you isn't an enjoyable experience. I would bet that happens very very rarely though but 1 time was enough for me- I will stick to fishing the river below.
[signature]
I agree with you packfish. I witnessed that last year but I was fishing more South center towards Dam. We've had better luck in past years sticking close to the West Bank and head North to the first point. The water in some places is 60 feet. But I remember catching slabs 2 years ago in about 40 feet with Swedish Pimples tipped w/perch eyes and crawlers. It is a bit nerving to know you have free flow under you and open water 3 miles up!OUCH!!!
Be save you guys and ALWAYS wear a preserver up there. I definately would wait for a foot of ice on there.
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]