Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hand auger...never agin
i finally gave in and bought an 8" eskimo gas auger this year, i took it down to u/l and this thing is sweet i drilled around 30 holes and didnt even use 1/4 tank of gas. ill take my hand auger for a back up but i hope i never have to use that thing again. oh yeah the 8" is on sale at sportsmans for 289.00
[signature]
Thats money!!! Gas augers spoil you. I have been fortunate to have some buddies that have them this year and its made all the difference. Did you get any Cats through the ice??
[signature]
no cats but i wish!! i have done alot of research on ice fishing for cats and they say you need to find the deepest holes in the lake. i have tryed in the harbors at night to no avail, to many people fish the harbors and most of the harbors are the deepest spot in the lake, so im sure the cats take off. so finding a deep hole in u/l that doesnt get hammerd this time of year would be hard to find. and from what i seen on tv they fish the first drop off or ledge where a river comes in but i dont like falling threw ice so i think some daredevil should give it a shoot and let me know how it went lol.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The deepest spots in Utah Lake are around Bird Island and off Lincoln Beach.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, believe it or not there is a small area a mile off shore that has a hole measured at over 90 feet deep.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]More than depth, winter cats like warmth. If you can find an area where warmer water (springs) enter the lake...but the depth is still safe...you can find cats stacked up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah Lake cats are not like the cats that Al Lindner fishes for in the midwest. They have lakes with depth and they also have several kinds of forage for the cats all through the winter. The winter cats remain even more active than our Utah fish in shallow lakes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Catfish do sometimes come inside the harbors but they do not like all the commotion from the happy harvesters. Once the heavy activity begins the cats move out. Your best shot at a cat through the ice is very early in the morning on a weekday when there are no others on the ice. Ditto for walleyes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
90 feet deep?? have you personaly seen this? ive never heard of a hole in u/l that is over 20ft deep. do you have a map or any proof of this hole?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You replied to yourself but I think you meant to reply to me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost all longtime Utah Lakers know of holes of 20 feet or more...and those change with winds and sediment deposits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, the one I am talking about appears on no maps and is not likely known to very many. I suspect that it is a remnant of an old "fumarole" where hot water came up into the basin...about a mile out from Saratoga springs. It is surrounded by "average" depths but suddenly drops to about 15 feet and then in a very small area clear down to the 90 foot mark. My friend thought his sonar was wrong until he dropped the anchor over and the line kept going...and going...and going. There are always a lot of fish stacked in that hole too. Sometimes they even bite.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know someone who has it GPSed and have seen pictures of the sonar readings. This is someone I trust. Not many of those.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
90 feet deep? never heard that fish tale before
[signature]
If you say it's so, I believe ya.[fishin]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks fer yer support.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My fishing buddy keeps trying to get me out there in his boat to show me first hand, but I always have some excuse for not going. But, he has sent photos from his phone...of the sonar...while he is on the water. And he is a fellow fishermen. We all know that fellow fishermen tell no tails/tales. Right?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Can't wait for that bridge they are building across the lake to come to that spot. Whoo boy they will need some deep pilings.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now that's Funny I don't care who you are.
[signature]
Tubedude:

The report of the "hole" is correct.

A very good acquaintence found it a few summers ago summer while on a jet ski. At the time, the water was quite low and he was able to kind of belly crawl to the rim and when he glided into the "hole" he found that it had perfectly vertical sides. Also that it was circular. Said that it was a bit scary because it was actually kind of hard to get out without an ability to get a foot hold.

He has since returned to that spot in higher water conditions and not had enough anchor to reach the bottom.

He's not a fisherman so I don't know anything about what that spot might contain, but he lives by the lake and is out there quite frequently.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Actually, I have had corroboration from "official" sources too. That hole is not completely unknown.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The way "urban legends" get started on Utah Lake, about giant flatheads and blue cats being caught in the carp nets...or recently a 24# walleye that was released back into the lake...you gotta be careful. Next thing you know that hole will be the underwater lair of a giant man-eating worm. Then again, that might not be a bad story to get started. Let's see...maybe it specializes in water skiers or wakeboarders. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad there is not a big vacuum motor at the bottom we could turn on to slurp all the carp out of the lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anybody who wants to find that hole just has to fly over the lake when it is nice and clear...like in the pioneer days...when it was ringed by big pine trees...etc. Yeah, right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good stuff! I bet if that lake were to be drained, we'd find all kinds of surprises.
[signature]
here we go another story [Wink] by the way you never did tell me what kind a fish finder you had that tells you what kind of fish is under the docks...........[pirate] oh ya sorry its all about EXPIERENCE..............!!!!
remember loose lips shink ships.....got a life preserver sounds like ship is sinking....[shocked]
[signature]
[quote fishn4eyes]here we go another story [Wink] by the way you never did tell me what kind a fish finder you had that tells you what kind of fish is under the docks...........[pirate] oh ya sorry its all about EXPIERENCE..............!!!!
remember loose lips shink ships.....got a life preserver sounds like ship is sinking....[shocked][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Hey 4Eyes...or whatever...if you don't like BFT, or me personally, why don't you just bug out and leave us alone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Loose lips are better than a loose brain...or no brain. You are proof of that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think we have hijacked this thread badly enough.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The problem with power augers is there is nothing better then a full on sweat in the dead of winter only to learn that when the sweat cools down you suddenly feel twice as cold as before. Those are good times. Yea hand augers are the worst.
[signature]
Love my strikemaster hand auger. Lightweight, and cuts through the ice in a matter of seconds.

I'd hate to lug around a power auger this time of year. But I always wish I had one come mid to late February when that ice is 18"+ thick.
[signature]
Yea if you have a nice hand auger is really makes the difference. I just remember growing up using my dad's old one and it took forever. Good memories!
[signature]