Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Northern California
[bobhappy]

Hi! I am Ray, user name DeltaRunner..... Received my welcome message from DryRod and MacFly55, so I am just planting my welcome message in the Freshwater, Fly Fishing Boards, so I can get around and introduce myself and get to know and possibly chat with people locally or get ideas from different parts of the USA. Haven't been fly fishing that long, but I do have a 5 and 9 wt...... I BIG Dream is to use my 9 wt in the Delta for some large Stripers. Been practicing my fly casting with left arm due to a muscle that fell off in my right shoulder.........Anywho......Merry Christmas!
[signature]
hi there! be sure to hit the north fork of the Yuba and upper Sac!
[signature]
glad to see you made it over to our forum.. look forward to your posts in the future...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
How is that left hand casting coming...I always wonder how I would adapt.
Welcome to the site and look forward to your post.
AND I hope you get to bend that 9wt big time!
[signature]
Welcome a board [Smile]
Delta for stripers is my dream as well...................one day soon.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
I was actually amazed on how well my left side adapted so quickly..... that b/c it doesn't know any better.....Thought the Art of Fly Casting is supposedly a finesse type of moves it was easier for the left hand/arm to learn it better than the right side. Being right handed all it wanted to do is try and muscle the rod to make long cast.... and my brain still thinks my right arm is fully functional and it tires more easier when the working muscle that are still there working twice as hard for the missing one... So the left side by itself does fine.....strip some line and cast and strip some more..... it harder to get the right involved to do a double haul with rod in left hand.... So I would say it's OKAY...... Thanks for your welcomes....looking forward to share some fish stories....especially when the 9 wt lands the Big One!
[signature]
Perhaps one day we will cross paths in the Delta. Are you from Northern Calif?
[signature]
Welcome Ray,

I'm down in Southern California but hope to fish the Delta after seeing "Bass The Movie" recently and just getting a pontoon boat.

Our local shop (Fisherman's Spot) is looking at putting together a Delta trip next year.

I'm learning to cast left handed as well since I'm finding that all day sessions put a lot of strain on my right arm (it would help to improve my technique as well). I can cast okay with the left but getting the right hand used to hauling and especially stripping is the hard part.

Jim
[signature]
Socal here[Smile]
Im also looking at that Fishermans Spot delta trip[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
Hey Jim....Thanks for the welcome..... I hear what you mean about sore muscle fling that fly line [crazy].... Can you imagine how fast my right shoulder losses strength with my missing muscle.... my supra-spin (can't even spell it) fell off and they can not put it back on.... [Sad]

I just gave my pontoon boat to my son who lives out in Denver, CO.... I replaced it with a 16.5 ft Aluminum deep "V" project boat....and it is a PROJECT.

The Delta will be an experience if you have never fishing it before.... The Delta is Tidal water it flows to and from San Francisco Bay....

Hope to hear from you soon!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: scaredworried.gif]Wait till you reach my age and you will then learn how to cast just using the up & down motion of your forearm. Can cast all day that way.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hey thats how i cast!!! it helps keep me on the water for 12+ hours a day during the spring and summer!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Might not be able to cast across the Mississippi but hey how often does one have to reach more than 50'.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I wish I could get 50' :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
When I practice in the park on the grass I can whip out
90' cast with my 5wt or 7wt.
Out of a float tube 60' and change[angelic]

Peter
[signature]
So you are seeing backing, or I should say you are into backing...but then again, there is the leader.
That's really good!
[signature]
I just need to be practicing.. I know with the mojo rod I was roll casting 40' plus without a problem... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the tip I will ADD that to my practice routine the "Forearm Method"....
[signature]
Yes there is a 9' of leader so there are still few coils of
line on the reel.
Once again ,I can do this only in the park, on the grass and fully standing.[Smile]
But thank you anyways.

Peter
[signature]
With my right arm only at 50% it is tough to snap them longer leaders out of the water. But once I shorten it to the length of the rod....casting becomes so much easier... If I didn't get a chance to wish every a warm and Merry Christmas..... Happy Holiday and may the New Year bring us all lots of quality fish to talk about in years to come...... Thank you all for the welcome to this site.....
[signature]