Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My best Bud's ok!!!!
No lectures please, I've learned my lesson, ok? Anyway, took the Spakinator on a jump shoot last Thurs. and since it's a sneak and jump, I usually use a half hitch with a 6 ft. 1" round leach around his waste to control him as we make our final approach on the river. We have done this for 6 yrs. now. Anyway, it was very, very cold then and we had jumped a few flocks and it was as if I was shooting blanks!!! This is very, very unusual!!! I usually have about 80% hit/kill score. Well, Sparky came back after looking for my missed birds and I picked up the leach and he yelped. Oh, oh. enough of the half hitch. It's frozen hard and not a good idea. Jumped another group and missed again so I said, this ain't my day and decided to go home. When I got home, Sparky was all sove up to about 10% of his normal self. To shorten up the story, after 3 days with no improvement, I decided to take him into the vet to see if I did something bad to spine, internal organs, etc. Well, starting about 24 hrs before taking him, he seemed to gain some of his old self back. Still went to the vet. She confirmed my analysis. Sore stomach and flank mussels. No more half hitch for me!!!!!!!!! [mad]
Anyway, with some anti inflammatories he should be good as new in a short time. Hope to post some results of jump shooting shortly. [Smile] I value my best bud more than most anything and would have been devastated if It was something worse.[frown]
[signature]
Crazy Fred! Glad he is doing better. We need to get out and chase a bird or two.
[signature]
Hey Bud,
Man, I wish I knew how to do that with any chance of success!!! Especially the way I'm getting older, and older with not being able to hike the hills like I used to. [frown]
[signature]
Good to hear that he is ok. That is the worst feeling in the world. Hope you can start shooting strait soon the hunting is just getting started, for most of the lakes are starting to freeze. I checked one of the rivers I told you about and met a guy there that told me he had a great day on Sat. In that same spot. I just went to check it out and only saw a diver duck in my quick look see. I am hoping thursday will bring a little weather so I can set up some deeks after jumping the river.
[signature]
Why would you put a leash around your dog's midsection in the first place? That's what the neck is for. I use a neck leash with a quick release buckle and it works perfectly for exactly what you described.
[signature]
Good to hear. Your posts wouldn't be the same without your fishing/hunting buddy.
[signature]
You just had to lecture, didn't you? That's ok, I deserve it!!! [frown] However. sure would like to learn more about a "quick release' buckle. Can you provide same. The half hitch was to prevent him pulling on the leash while stalking. Don't worry, no more half hitches, I'll just put up with his anxious pulling on the approach and do a little more training.[Wink]
[signature]
If you want him to start listening,and quit pulling so hard invest in a chock chain. It doesn't take them long to realize if they pull they get choked? maybe one to two outings and he will be trained not to pull. Also some bacon in your front pocket helps keep them by your side and paying attention to you.
[signature]
The choke chain (as Fishinfool) suggested works great. But I use a regular collar that is hooked to a leash with a plastic buckle like you find on a life vest. Just a simple squeeze the buckle and the leash is released. It leaves about a 1 foot piece of leash attached to the collar, but with a big dog like my Lab or your Golden, it never gets in the way. Here is a pic of the buckle I use. Cost is about $2.
[inline buckle.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks guy!! [Wink]
[signature]