Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle report 07/12/03
I took the family up to Jordanelle on Saturday. We got up there around 7:00 am. We was fishing from shore and the hike to the water was not the wifes favorite memory of the trip. We went mainly for the Perch and that is all we caught. We were using the bobber and worm method and also tried jigs tipped with worm or perch. My only problem was that we had a hard time hooking the fish. The bobbers would be dancing and go under and we still could not hook the fish. We did end up catching around 25 put we missed many more. What was we doing wrong????? It got so frustrating for the wife that she stopped fishing. Any help with this would be appreciated.
[signature]
I was also up at Jordanelle on saturday, mainly going for perch. Just_trolling and I also experienced the same problem of getting good hits that would take the bobber under, but no fish on. We countered that with smaller hooks and smaller jigs. Plus tipping them with smaller amounts of worm. Seemed to help out quite a bit. Plus we also noticed that when we did go with smaller hooks we started catching 2-4 inch perch more frequently!!!
[signature]
I always miss a bunch too. What helped me though was when they start hitting just start reeling in. If it feels like they arent on then let it sit till they hit again and so on. I just think thats how perch are, I dont know but everywhere I go they seem to do that.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about trying smaller hooks. It was just really frustrating for the kids. They don't have the patient to when they can not hook the fish. I spent most of the time hooking them and giving the pole to kids. I did have my one boy catch-on and he did ok. I also wonder if we would of found deeper water if we would of found bigger Perch.
[signature]
Thats what ive been reading . The deeper the water the bigger the perch. The trick is getting it down before the rest of the perch slam it. Im gonna try a worm with no bobber and just a split shot and let it sink to the bottom and jig it lightly. That might work. I'll be going there on the weekend and let ya know how it went!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Loanfish,

Thanks for keeping me updated. I wish i could make it out with you guys on the 1st and 2nd but I will be with the family to Lagoon on the 1st then I will be Scouting for Deer on the 2nd.
[signature]
We tried a little deeper water about 40' and got very few bites. Most of the perch we cought were in about 30' of water or less. We used about a #4 hook and had problems not killing the small fish trying to get the hook out. We thought about useing about a #8 hook but were afraid the small fish would swallow then even worse. I'm not sure what the answer is??

a-b
[signature]
[Smile] Try bending the shank of the hook out a little, and use smaller worm tips. hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
Try using the small tube jigs tipped with a strip of perch meat 1/2" wide by 2" long. The smaller fish will hit it but seldom get hooked and if you leave the skin on the meat it doesn't come apart and you can use it fish after fish. Also the tube jig itself is a mouthful for even some of the bigger fish and they can't swallow it. The bigger fish are deeper and the bigger bait helps you get down to them. I've had small ones tapping at my bait and move it around a little and have a trout or smallie come by and nail it.
[signature]
Gots2fish,

Thanks for the feed back, would you use the jigs under a bobber or just bringing it along the bottom.??
[signature]
Good info gots2fish Iam definately gonna try that. I think you posted that in one of your other posts and I forgot! so thankyou for reminding me!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
kidsnme
try it under a bobber, dropped down enough to get close to the bottom when your bobber goes under give it a little tug, if you don't hook up let it sit and they right be back on it.
[signature]