Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field trip to Bountiful Pond
LUNCH BREAK! A short 15 min drive to find Bountiful Pond. Looks promising, in a 5 min period we saw Catfish, Bluegill, SMB, Trout (looked like a brown & an albino) & Carp. And that was just at the parking lot! Strolled around the lake to see multiple places to launch a small boat (no motors allowed) or your float tube. THere are two islands I could see, and lots of places to fish.

Where does the water come from? And, can you eat what you catch?

The place would be a lot nicer if people could learn to pick up their own garbage.

I tipically haul out more than I bring in anytime I go out.
[signature]
I think bountiful pond is a pretty decent place to fish. I live in bountiful, so when i dont have the time to drive far I go down there. I have caught a ton of fish out of there most of them being catfish and trout but I have recently got into a few bass out there.

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Hey loanfish,

What are your fishing techniques for bountiful pond? What you catch the bass on I need to go up there and give it the old college try.

Last time I was there was in May, saw alot of surface action probably Carp and tons of Smallies right near that feeder creek by the parking lot. They where swiming around but would'nt bite a thing.

P.S. I caught one more smallie after you left yesterday. Was about 12"

Al
[signature]
[cool]Down here in Arizona we got our locals trained. If they ain't gonna haul out their empties, at least turn them into somethin' useful.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1186920.jpg]

These make lousy fishing chairs though. Ya get a bite and they fall apart when you jump up to set the hook.
[signature]
I wish the local were a diligent about taking care of their garbage, but that is not always the case. But, it would help matters if there were just more than one garbage can around the lake for folks to deposit their empties in. At the Bountiful pond yesterday there was garbage thrown around less than 100 feet from the ONLY garbage can in the parking lot.

I always take out more garbage than I bring in.
[signature]
Hey loanfish,

I thought we were friends[Sad]. I understand if you don't want to share any of your top secret information. Is the guilt trip working?[Wink]

Al
[signature]
Oops sorry, I have always just used worms or hot dogs for the cats off the bottom. For the trout the fishing isnt to hot in the summer except for about an hour in the morning right when the sun comes up. Take a worm with no weight stand right by the inlet toss it into the moving water and let it drift a bit. Just keep doing that, thats the only way I have caught trout there. But that was also about a month and a half ago. Its been so hot lately and virtually everyone that fishes there keeps what they catch that there may be few if any trout left. For bass moby dick told me a secret. He said fish a white curly tail with a white jig head and you can catch bass. I went out there with a white minnow looking curly tail and a glow in the dark jig head and caught a few lmb. This was all from shore, I'm willin to bet if youget out there in a tube youcould nailem' with top water in the evening or jigs. I saw a guy on the south-west end on a tube throwing topwater and doing quite well. The trick there is getting away from the heavily fished areas. That place gets a ton of fishing pressure, especially in front, on both the floating ramps and about 50 yds down the north side. Usually the further back I get the better fishin i've got! Hope that helps and sorry I didnt reply sooner. Will you still be my friend hustler!!lol

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
How deep does the lake get, and how far back does it go. I just walked the shore on the north side for about a hundred yards or so, that's all the time I had for lunch yesterday. Where are the deep spots, have you tried a fly rod out there yet?????
[signature]
Ihave never flyfished out there but I imagine it would be pretty good eary in the morning, maybe for bass to. You might want to check with maddawg on flyfishing for bass. Someone told me that there is a really deep hole in that pond like 65 feet deep or something like that. They said someone went out in their waders and dropped down the hole after their waders filled up with water. I had a hard time believing it but he swore it was true. Unless he's jerking my chain!lol. If you walk on the road almost all the way back to the parking lot you'll see a piece of wood that crosses the ditch. cross over that and head to the white bridge that crosses the pond, that's the back of the pond. In winter time when there is a sheet of ice on it if you toss a white or chartruese jig on the ice and let it drop of into the water you can nail the trout. After its been planted of course. You can walk around the entire pond, the back end though is not paved yet. most people never walk back that far either. This is why I like to go back there. This pond is especially good for night fishing!

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
where exactly is Bountiful Pond....sounds like some fun!
[signature]
Of course I'll still be your friend!!! Your a big guy and I wouldn't want to get on your bad side now [Smile].

Where you using that minnow jig you had at pineview? I'll probably float out there one evening and throw a buzz and poppers, if that doesn't work I'll switch to Senkos and try some minnow jigs. Where you catching large or small mouth bass?

There is no mention in the community fishing book of small mouth in that lake so maybe what I saw schooling by the creek where white bass. I'm sure they were smallies though cause they looked bronze to me.
[signature]
I was catching lmb. I didnt think there were white bass in there but the other day someone else said they cought one. I think that there are small and largemouth in there if im not mistaken. there are supposed to be some monsters in there. Never caught one though. We should go check it out, without my family.lol

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Sounds like a plan! When do you want to go? I just hope the heat hasn't shut them down like at I-80. I imagine that the big boys would be up in the grass within a foot or so off the shore in the early mornings and late evenings waiting to ambush a tasty morsel. The shadier the better. Float tube would be best to get to those secluded areas if there isn't shore access but I recall that that is a big lake and I would probably blow out my knees before I got to the other side. Definately need to check it out though.
[signature]
Take I-15 NB get off at the Centerville exit turn right at the light go to the frontage road head south til you hit Page Lane turn right and head west until you see the gate for the dump keep to the left and you're in the parking lot.

Have fun, and keep the area clean, pack out more than what you bring in.
[signature]
i MAY GO OUT THERE TONIGHT. WANNA GO?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
two holes in it and not even close to 65 feet deep loan. more like 25 feet. unless they know better than my fishfinder. haha. if those trout are not dead yet i would be super surprised.
[signature]
Ya I kinda thought 65 feet sounded kinda deep. Where exactly are the holes and why are they in there? Does it just gradually drop off or is it a straight down kinda hole?

GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I'll see you there. I'm going to leave in about ten minutes, should be there by 6:45 - 7:00

Later
[signature]
if the story i heard was true. they were dredged in there when it was built. they appear pretty drastic drop offs on the fishfinder. but who knows with all the silt and garbage in there now.
[signature]
We shall see for sure, I'm heading there Sunday morning with "BFT UncleRay" and daughter. With fishfinder in hand we'll see what we mark & catch
[signature]