Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIP STICKS
[cool][size 1]I often refer to "dip-sticking". This is the float tubing equivalent to flipping. It involves making accurate presentetions, in or next to cover, using a long rod and a light entry of the jig or bait. Combined with the natural stealth of a flotation craft, it can be a deadly way to extract spooky fish from cover.

My first long rod for dipping was nothing more than a fly rod fitted with an ultralight spinning reel in place of the standard fly reel. It worked well and I liked feel of holding the rod forward of the reel, just like using a fly rod. I have since built many dipsticks of many sizes incorporating the handle forward design. Here are a couple of pics of the main rods in my current dipstick arsenal:

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2669898.jpg]

The tape measure is extended to six feet. The crappie rod on the right is a twelve footer. It is light action and works great for crappies and other small species, although I have wrestled some big cats with it too. The rod second from the right is built on a 9 foot fly rod, for an 8/9 weight line. It doubles as a "bubble chucker", for throwing bubbles and flies long distances and then reeling and fighting fish handle forward, like a fly rod.

The three rods on the left are all built on stout downrigger or salmon blanks. They range from about 9' to 11'. The two on the left are handle forward. The third from the left is a heavy trigger grip standard handle I use for hand-to-fin combat with big cats when they are in cover in the spring. Even with a heavy rod and stout line, I lose some of the battles.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2679864.jpg]

A closer view of the handles...some cork and some foam. Note the old fly rod rebuild still has some of my old diamond wrapping. I gave that stuff up and started building more for utility than glitz.

The long crappie rods are available commercially from Cabelas, Bass Pro and other sources. They are about $30 and are a good investment for the float tuber that wants to probe stickups and the edges around docks or pilings without alerting fish to their presence. [/size]
[signature]
Where do you fish in general and where do you use the "Dip sticking" techique most often?

Al
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Hustler. I live and fish mostly in Arizona now, but I have fished all over the country...including many years in Utah. Some of my bigger dippin' rods were crafted for fishing around the solid wall of reeds and cattails on some southern Arizona lakes, but they work well in waters like Pineview, Newton, Mantua or others that have periodic weed growth and holes where the fishies hang out.

That long 9 foot fly rod was originally put together for fishing spring walleyes off the rocks at Willard. I could cast parallel to the rocks and then keep the jig running at exactly the right distance from the edge, without snagging as much. I later used it for vertical dropping for crappies, both on Willard and Pineview.

In Utah Lake, I made good use of dippin' from my tube around the docks and pilings, for white bass and crappies...and bluegills, etc. You can stay just far enough away that you don't spook the fish, and the battle on the long limber rod is fun.

In days of old, when Walsburg Bay in Deer Creek was full, there were a lot of largemouth in the brush in the back. If they wouldn't hit spinnerbaits or buzzbaits, I dunked a plastic worm on them.

This technique also works well for teasing cruising trout around the edges of weedlines, in water less than eight or ten feet deep. A weighted fly or small tube jig can be presented vertically, with just the right wiggle. And, on Pelican Lake, it is a killer for big bluegills and bass among the reeds.

Is that what you were looking for?
[signature]
I havent done the modifications for larger poles, but i have turned some ultra lights into ultra ultra lights!!! basically a ice fishing pole on steroids.. A blue gill feels like a wiper on those bad boys!!! I want to catch a wiper on one of those!!!
[signature]
I only have a two pole arsenal as of yet but I have replaced my fly reel with an open faced spinner upon occasion and its a real blast to catch fish that way and you can really throw it a long ways too.
[signature]