Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scofield
im going to scofield tomorrow with my daughter and grandson, first time they have ice fished. think i can take the snowmobile? ice thicness and slush conditions would help. thinking about the south end if ice not good or by the island if it is i dont really care if they catch a lot of chubs i just want them to have fun and a lot of action. bait help also if anyone knows. the usual worm wax and mealy is what i was thinking. bay by the dam is too steep to get all the chit back up, hey im old ok thanks for the help
We fished Scofield this morning. We fished from the west side just south of that trailer camp town (West Scofield). There is a plowed lane on the side of the road to park and It is an easy walk down to the ice. The water is not deep on that side (about 10-14 feet) but between 8:00 and noon we caught small cutts, bows and one tiger none stop. Nearer the shore the slush was frozen so you could walk on top. We had aspirations of walking to the island, but when we got to the soft slush we changed plans and stopped there. We used a white salt and pepper tube jig on one pole and an orange jig on the other (I'm not sure that mattered). We started tipped with a meal worm but success was slower than I expected. We changed to tipping with a worm. That was the ticket. I'm not sure how many fish we caught, but we went through 2 dozen worms, breaking them in half. Most of the worm tips caught between 1 and 5 fish before changing - do the math - that gives you an idea, Hope you have a great trip with the kids.
[signature]
THANKS for the info. how thick was the ice? and the slush? trucks all loaded just need to decide if the snowmobile is going . thanks again
I just returned from there, myself. I was on the northern end towards Madsen Bay. The slush wasn't too bad but I was suprised there was any at all. I only saw a couple snow mobiles on the lake and the ones I did see were both going along the edges, for whatever reason.

Nonstop action also, with the majority of fish being in the 10 - 12" range. I caught them on everything, but they really hammered the orange Maniac ice-cutters tipped with a wax worm.
[signature]
thanks for the info. looks like i will take the sled , dont have to unhook it if im not positive its safe. i will post when i get back. thanks again
The ice was 6-8 inches (maybe more) with about 6 inches of slush on top of that. Closer to the edge the slush was frozen but softened up as you got out farther. I'm not too experienced with snow machines, so I don't know how they fare in the slush. We found the slush miserable, so we stayed nearer the edge.
[signature]