Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
leaky pontoon question
I have Just purchased a pontoon with a bladder that is possibly leaking at the seam. What type of repair would be best for this stiuation. Any reponse will be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to adding pontooning to my fishng arsenal.
[signature]
[cool]Welcome to the forum. Saw your post on the Utah board, but didn't chip in. Sounded like you had a plan.

First step is to remove the bladder, air it up and verify where the leak is. If it is a pinhole leak...usually caused by a sticker or a fish spine...almost anything will fix it. I'm guessing your air bladder is vinyl or urethane. Do you know? By the way, what is the make of your craft?

For both pinholes and larger leaks I have been very happy with the product called AquaSeal. It comes in a small tube, and is like liquid plastic. You put a gob on the leak and spread it out to create a patch at least a half inch past the leak on all sides. Leave it perfectly level for about 24 hours, for a full cure. It bonds well and will not pull loose. If you want a faster patch, buy a bottle of the "Cotol" (I think) liquid sold with the AquaSeal as a cleanup solvent. If you ix a little with the AquaSeal, it cures in only about 2 hours. That's good to have on a fishing trip, if you don't have time to wait for a full cure.

If the craft is very old, and has not been stored properly, your air bladder may be degraded and in need of complete replacement. In that case, you will need to go to the original manufacturer, or find one from another source. That ain't always easy.

We have posted before on finding leaks. First you air the chamber up to the max and see if you can find the leak without water. If it is a big leak, you can hear and feel the air loss. Mark the hole, deflate the chamber and patch it. If it is harder to find, hold the surface of the chamber under water, rotating it around until you have checked every square inch. Bubbles indicate a leak. For really slow leaks, fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray slowly and methodically all over the chamber until you make some bubbles. Again, mark the leak and repair it.

Give it a shot and let us know if you need some help.
[signature]
Thanks Tube Dude,
Your post are always a big help even if I not the one asking for help. In the few hours since I've posted this question I have gotten great response. I now know that I have a toon with vulcanized truck tire tubes. It might be an older craft but it seems to be in good shape. I'll find that leak as you suggest and try and repair it. WHAT A GREAT FORUM!!
[signature]
[cool]I think you will find that the vucanized rubber bladders will be more difficult to fix. However, if you are not up to the task yourself, a truck tire repair shop should be able to get the job done. The nominal amount they will charge will more than offset the savings you get on the purchase.

I think the person who is offering you the pontoon posted on the Utah forum a while back about trying to fix that bladder. The company that made it is out of business and Sportsmans does not have resources to get it fixed either. I think that's where it was originally purchased.

The good news is that if you can get the air bladder fixed, you will have a good craft. If you need any help on basic fishing techniques, launching or beaching, or whatever, let us know.
[signature]