Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice auger blade ?
So my hand auger is having a hard time getting the hole started and taking a while to cut through. The blades seem just as sharp this year as when I bought them new last year. Shouldn't they last longer than a year(keeping in ming it's a hand auger)? How much is it to get the blades resharpened vs a brand new set? Where could one go to get their blades sharpened?
[signature]
Doube check the alignment of the blades. If there is any play when the bolts are loosened it may be the answer. I also have noticed that they get dragged and smacked on the ice. When i see this i cringe...nothing more precious than a well tuned auger.
[signature]
[quote muskycoop]

How much is it to get the blades resharpened vs a brand new set? Where could one go to get their blades sharpened?

[/quote]

NSL Saw & Tool
3221 South Highway 89, Bountiful, UT 84010
(801) 295-1296

The last time I had him sharpen some 10" blades for me (about a year ago) I was charged less than $10.00.
[signature]
Last year I bought a hand sharpner from Sportsman's Warehouse. Works like a charm. It looks like a handheld knife sharpner and cost me about $8.
[signature]
I have owned a hand auger and now a power auger. If you bounce your auger in and out of the hole, or hit it on the ice to clear ice from it you can decrease the life of your blades.
Look at the edge for chips or see if the edge has rolled over, if that is the case you will need to sharpen it.
I purchased a power auger about 4 years ago and the blades that were on it only would stay sharp about 4 trips. The metal seemed very soft so I bought a set of StrikeMaster Lazer blades. They have lasted all year.
[signature]
Kent, do you think that having them sharpened was the same as new ones? I have thought about having someone sharpen them but for $7 more why not get brand new ones, unless they're as good as new?
[signature]
Best way is to use the Strike Master Blade exchange. Go to their website for details. It is about 4-5 bucks. You send your old blades to them and they ship you a set of factory sharpened blades back. About the half the cost of newones, and you always have a set of sharp blades.
Thanks for the responses fellas. I've rechecked the blades and they seem to be in perfect condition(ie no chip, no bending, not loose, sharp etc.). I wonder if the blade angle has change from being knocked around a bit. Perhaps I'll try the blade exchange and find out if it really is the blades or not.
[signature]
[quote Fish-or-die]

Kent, do you think that having them sharpened was the same as new ones? I have thought about having someone sharpen them but for $7 more why not get brand new ones, unless they're as good as new?

[/quote]

Yes, they seemed to be as good as new. Be aware that I am getting the blades on my power auger sharpened. I haven't priced new blades, but I am sure they are more expensive than having them sharpened.
[signature]
Another good place to have them sharpened is called the Razors Edge. It is located on 600 South right as you get off freeway in Salt Lake on the North Side of 600 South. It would be like maybe 400 West 600 South. The give the best edge that I have ever seen and have some pretty cool equipment that they use to do it.
[signature]
I've had my Eskimo power auger for 5 years now. I started sharpening my own blades about 3 years ago. For the past 3 years my auger has seemed "sluggish" cutting the ice. I finally stepped up and bought new blades this year ($30.00!!!) and put them on. As I was putting them on I couldn't help but notice that my old sharpened blades looked (and felt to the touch) exactly like my new blades...so I was preparing myself for disappointment. Well, took it out a couple weeks ago to Scofield and I cannot believe how nice those new blades cut! What a huge difference. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
I guess the moral of the story is that apparently I don't know how to sharpen auger blades. So I would either have them professionally sharpened (Kents contact looks good) or buy new ones.
I wish Eskimo had a "blade exchange" program because after experiencing what I did...I'll be buying new blades every year now.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
They used to. I never tried them, but they would sharpen your old blades for a certain fee, or exchange yours for some that were already sharpened. Try this link and let us know if they still offer the service.
http://www.ardisam.com/contactus.asp
[signature]