Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time deer hunter! Help!!
Hey guys,

I'm looking forward going on my first deer hunt in 2010. I'm looking for some advice. I will just post a few questions and hopefully some of you can take a stab at a few!

1. I live in Rexburg, where would some of you hunt that would give you the best possibility to get a deer? (In other words, what hunting zone would you get a tag for?)

2. If / when I shoot a deer, how hard is it to get the deer back to your vehicle? I don't have a 4-wheeler, so I will be on foot patrol.

3. What are some techniques to use in order to actually get a deer? For example, how much should I scout in advance? How far would I need to be away from a deer if I am using a 30-06 rifle for a clean kill?

Basically, any advice for a 27 year old kid trying to get his first deer would be great! Thanks!!!
[signature]
Good questions. Lets start at the top.

As for where it depends largely on how far you are willing or able to go. I personally like to hunt west and North of Dubois around Medicine lodge or Black Mountain near Warm springs. These areas have lots of deer, but I seem to have trouble finding bucks... at least during general deer season[crazy]. I do see lots of does however. Also towards Kelly Canyon area there are lots of hunters, but I don't see too many deer during the open season time. However if you scout it heavily and learn where they go I would think it would be productive. The other option is to put in for a controlled hunt somewhere in the state. The buck ones are hard to get drawn on, but the ones for does are not to hard to draw on. I have a friend that puts in for a late doe tag in Mackay area each year for December and usually does pretty well.

As for how hard it is to get it back is dependent on several factors. Is it a buck vs doe, young vs. old, are you going uphill vs down, snow or dirt to go across. Only you will answer these questions and possibly not until you can't change your mind. So, before you shoot, think. I personally pass on elk where I hunt if they take one step over a ridgeline just because there is no road downhill on that side, but I'm willing to drag for over a 1/4 mile in the other direction d/t it being all downhill and it comes to a road. Although I prefer some snow so they will slide. Also, if you get a white tail they are usually (not always) smaller than a mule deer. Location will affect that a bit.

I don't usually scout, but then I don't usually fill my tag either. So, scouting couldn't hurt and would probly help. I don't bother w/ scents. I do like camo's, but it's more my feeling that I would rather not be seen by other hunters than the deer. I've heard to many stories of people being shot at even in full hunter orange that I've come to the conclusion that people that will shoot without a clear target (i.e. at sounds) are color blind or plain stupid to begin with and I feel safer if they just don't know I'm there. Plus it can't hurt my chances of getting closer. They often will see me, but if they can't tell what I am they will just stand there and let me get much closer than I would otherwise.

As for ranges shooting w/ a 30-06. You could take some seriously long shots and have plenty of knockdown power. However the more important question is usually how far can you shoot accurately enough to ensure a clean kill shot? I personally like to try and get inside of 200 yds and have always been able to on deer I've shot. Not to mention it's often tough to tell if it's a doe or a buck until you're inside 300yds unless you have a spotting scope or the critter has a big rack. I've seen many spike bucks that I would have sworn were does untill I was at least 200 if not under 150 yds.

Hope most of this helps. I'm sure others can definitely add to it. Also if you can get someone that usually deer hunts to take you w/ them that would be a great way to get started! You can always hit me up. I don't know if I'll be doing it this year or not but I have some ideas that I'd like to check out [Wink]
[signature]
Thanks for that! That is definitely a great start!
[signature]