Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing in Catalina
[size 1]Hey Guys...

I know this isn't tubin' related really, but I know there's a lot of guys here who fish Catalina so I'm posting this message here as well as on the California board. I'm going on high adventure camping trip with some guys in my scout troop (16-18yr olds) to Catalina Island. Since I'm the big fisherman of the group, they've put me in charge of telling them what they need to bring for fishing. I was just wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me what I'm going to need as far as tackle, bait, lures, etc...we'll probably mainly fish from shore, but will have a couple of zodiacs to fish out of every once in a while. I want to get all of the info that I can from you guys on fishing at Catalina. They're plannin' on bringin' in fish to eat, so let me know what's gonna get us into some tasty treats. We'll be there from July 28 - August 2. Thanks guys! [/size]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Kid, if you have never caught calico bass in salt water, you will be talking to yourself when you leave the island. These largemouth counterparts are thick around Catalina. You will find them everywhere there are rocks and/or kelp. Take your standard bass tackle and lures. They will vote for about anything a largie will. The only difference is that it is seldom a finess bite, but usually a hard smash on a fast retrieve.

You can catch some really nice calicos...up to 4 or 5 pounds, casting off any points or around the rockpiles visible in the clear water. Most of what you hook will be the "non-legal" under 12 inches, but there will usually be a few larger ones around too. The big surprise you will get is that a 12" calico will fight like a 12 pound largie. Lots of fun.

Any bait that looks like a five or six inch fish...or a squid...will get bit by the locals. That means swimbaits and tubes, in all the standard fishy colors will get a vote from time to time. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and spoons all work too...as do twisters, grubs and even plain old plastic worms. I haven't tried them, but I'll bet Senkos would work...although a bit pricy for the amount you will go through, when cheaper stuff will work. Plain white, smoke sparkle, red and white, blue and white, green and yellow, various shades of olive or motor oil, pink. Those are the colors to use in rotation until you find what they want.

If you get lucky, or if you can get out a ways from whore, you are likely to find a few barracuda and/or bonito. These are open water gamesters that are ideally suited to bass tackle and lures. If you hook a big bonito, be sure you have lots of line and a good drag. Ditto if you luck into a white seabass or yellowtail. They run into some poundage and can move you upon the waters. Just don't let yourself get out far enough to get caught in a current, and pay attention to the weather forecast.

Also, there have been some great white sharks sighted around Catalina on occasion. There are lots of sea lions that use the island as a summer condo and they attract the predators (sharks)

I have tubed along the lee side of Catalina in years past, and always was amazed by the beauty and clarity of the water. You can see fish swimming below you in over fifty feet of water, and can often watch a big old calico come up for many feet to whack a lure. When a whole school charges your lure, it gets semi exciting.

For a good fish feed, try fishing a small piece of cut squid on a plain old nightcrawler hook and sinker. There are millions of Catalina blue perch around the same places you find the calicos. They are about crappie sized, but fight ten times as hard. They are easy to fillet and are great eating.

If you really get lucky, you might hang a halibut or two by bouncing jigs off the sandy bottom in between the rocks. They have to be 22" to keep, but there are some around the island that will go over 50 pounds. A lot of really big halibut have been landed by guys using light gear. And, with the clear water at Catalina, you will get bit more with light line.

Let us know if you have any specific questions, and we can work on them. I am jealous, but hope you have a great trip. Here's a pic of a decent calico,

[Image: robleadbetter.jpg]
[signature]
Sounds like I just need to get out there and do what I do best then. LOL. Look for prime bass lookin' spots, throw some crankbaits (I'm thinkin' maybe some Rat-L-Traps), and catch some fish. I'll also make sure to get some squid while I'm at it. I think I'll probably go and stock up on some swimbaits as well. I also just had an interesting idea...ever heard of anyone catching these calicos on topwaters? Perhaps a Super Spook or some poppers. hehe. Or how about working a Zoom Super Fluke erratically along the surface? Thanks for the great info Pat, I'll be sure to take some pictures to post...har har
[signature]
man I want to go! I fish that island all the time on the sport fishing vessel that I work on.

for the calico bass, sand bass, halibut, white sea bass, and yellowtail, I would go with a very very heavy freshwater bass rod. but if you have a light saltwater rod, rated for line from 15-25, use that. match that with a small conventional saltwater reel with about 15 pound line on it. but dont go out and buy all of this just for one trip.

as far as hooks go, you should bring an assortment of sizes ranging from size 4, 1, 1/0, 2/0, and 3/0. as for bait, I would fish a dead squid that you can buy in the packages on a 3/0 hook. squid, also called "candy bait", will catch you anything on that island. all of the fish I mentioned above are the main fish people catch on the squid. you should fish the squid as if you were fishing a plastic worm. let it hit the water and sink. then reel it in a little and put the reel in free spool. continue this process, and some bass or yellowtail will hit it. try to fish around the kelp. if you are on the back side of the island, there is a big boiler rock. it is barely sticking out of the water. fish that and fish it hard. calico bass are holding there. if you can see any bait boats out on the water, you should try and go get some bait from them. you might be able to get if for free, if your nice. haha. they are usually about 20-40 yards from shore.

blue perch are little crappie sized fish, as what tubedude said, that fight super hard and are a thrill on 4 pound line, but I dont recommend that because a bigger, better fish might pick up your line. for the blue perch, I would use a size 8 hook with a tiny peice of squid on it. these fish are surface fish so dont use too heavy of a sinker. you might want to try using a big bobber. I have never done so, but it sounds like a good idea. it might look rediculous too, but who cares. sometimes you will catch blue perch that are around 2 pounds. wow are those things great!

there are many bottom fish at catalina that feed on the squid also. what we do is use a #4 or #6 hook with a strip of squid on it. we also use a 2-4 ounce sinker just to get it down there. you might catch some sargo and sheep head. those are very fun and very good table fish.

well, I know all that information was a little out of order but it will catch you fish.
[signature]
oh, I forgot about platics. a good plastic for you to use is a wham that are green on top with a clear sparkle on the bottom. I would fish these around the kelp the same way you would fish the squid.

good luck!!

joe
[signature]