Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls
Is there any other decent fishing on this res? other than Sportsmans Park? possibly something on the east side closer to Pokie? with as big as this place is it seems there would be some other places to get into the fish, and i just cant keep but thinking there should be some untouched pockets of perch and some big trout in there somewhere..

thanks in advance
[signature]
I agree. With such a big body of water, there has to be other areas that fish are stacking up. I keep trying to find it, but so far no love. I fished an area by willow bay Monday afternoon. I never had iced fished this area before, but know of people who have. No fish on the rods, No fish on the Vex. Fished in several depths ranging from 10 ft. to 25 ft.. The bottom was gradually sloped with no structure. I think this is the reason for the no fish. That being said, I do think that this ice fishery could be amazing. I for one will keep trying to figure it out, guess I don't know when to throw in the towel.
[signature]
I have wondered the same thing. Funny thing is, where I am catching Perch in Sportsman Park, there is nothing but a flat mud bottom, no stucture anywhere. I have wondered if the North end may hold some fish, but access is hard to come buy. Whre I can get access, it is to steep to bother with packing everything down and reloading the sled and then go for a hike. I have not tried the damn area yet. Kinda wondered if it was doing any good. I would think there would be Perch on the East side around the grain elevator.
[signature]
I fished around the grain elevator the day before yesterday and I couldn't buy a bite. I think there are some fish around but it just wasn't my day. I have done well on perch in years past off the face of the dam but haven't tried this year.
[signature]
Saw some guys fishing off the face of the dam yesterday on my way back from sportsman, took a little drive this evening and it looks like most of the east side of the res is all locked up by well the res. every access point has a Ft Hall sign on it... does anyone know what the rules would be about taking a sled in from maybe the north/east end and fishing along some of that area that is landlocked by the reservation?
[signature]
Prvrt, was that you last night out at sportsmans park? Red eskimo popup and 4 wheeler? we set up and had a bunch of kids out there just to the northeast of you(mabey you). we took home 22 perch and caught mabey that many more. slowed down a little. Wish those perch averaged bigger. mabey out the bay on the main res. would be better. I can't figure why we don't find more big perch.[crazy]
[signature]
man, you guys and sportsmans park, i was out there yesterday, towards the east side straight out from the boat ramp, just me and my boy and my dog, i was the only one dumb enough to use a spud bar Smile i have been out there three times now and have one perch to show for it, tried everything in my box, was getting a few very VERY light bites on a blue and white jig with a tippet of night crawler. guess i just havent figured the place out yet.
[signature]
That would have been me, again. I remember the kids and all the poles. When I first got there I landed a fat old sucker. I did ok, took home 20, threw around 15 back. It was a little slower and the size was smaller this time. Nothing over 8". The few times before that I was always hooking a few 12" or 11". I will be back out there in the morning to try something a little different. I know there is a 14"er in there just waiting for me. It got away once, hope it does not happen again.
[signature]
There are Perch just about every where in there. I just use a small hook around 8 to 12 in size and some worm. You can also use a small 1/32 jig with a white curly tail. Just pull the tail off so it looks like a maggot, then put a small piece of worm on the hook. I use light poles and set the hook by hand. Watch the tip of the pole move and jerk the line by hand (be quick) and just pull them up, unless it is 12" or bigger, then you will want the pole for some give. You will be able to tell the difference. This way you do not have to reset the pole every time. Just unhook the perch and drop the line back down the hole. Seems anywhere within 2' of the bottom and your in the Perch. Also about every 15-30 secs grab the line and jig it 2-3 times and then let if go. If they are around, you should have a hit almost immediately. If nothing happens, pull the line up 5-10 feet and then drop it. Some times they come through in schools and other times they are just hanging around. You may try and hold you mouth another way. Sometimes that works also. [Wink]
[signature]
Why3zx,

While I have not caught perch elsewhere, in recent times there have been perch by the dam so I have no doubt that they are there. The most fisherman tended to congregate there by the dam boat launch in past years since they catch big trout there at times. However, the ice is choppy there this year so it is not advised.

The east side by the elevator is drawing attention this year but other than the report posted above (pretty dismal), I have not heard nor seen anything caught. The access is great and you can drive right to the ice edge there just ENE of the elevator.

Years ago, while hunting geese over decoys, in the middle between the boat dock and A.F. townsite, I caught several large trout. They were in the four pound range if memory serves. I think that I was using a jig with a small piece of night crawler and was about 15' below the ice, which was far above the bottom. I would predict that if a person went against the dam face and fished in about 25' of water, they could nail perch and trout. They may also pick up an occasional LMB.

P.S. I agree that this huge resource is not properly used. We know there are 15+ pound trout and numerous perch so it is criminal that it has not been properly researched and reported. That lousy spot there at Aberdeen's Sportsmens Park is less than 1% of the total surface area and has no structure on the bottom yet it draws 90% or more of the fisherman....

FR
[signature]
Sounds like its time to venture out for some exploritory icefishing. I may give the dam a try next or possibly by the grain elevator. trying to think if there is anywhere along the north shore that stands out as it's closest to me.Any ideas anyone. I still dream of magic res of yesteryear. That place had some nice perch.
[signature]
After reading these reports, I took the family to Sportsmans yesterday. We had never been to the reservoir. We stopped and looked around McTucker Ponds, too. From there to Sportsmans, we drove past lots of reservoir and wondered why everyone was in one spot. It's like Mackay, all those houses and holes in a half acre in the same spot every year, and the rest of the lake almost untouched.
[signature]
I think the reason Sportsman's is so popular is that there are fish there. It is also easy access. I know that most of the west side of the res has steep sides and is not to easy in the summer and the winter I would think it is even harder getting up and down. That is the main reason I have not tried any where along the west. Just to much stuff to pack down. The North end of the res right now I would bet is about 10' deep other than the river channel which would be about 15' right now. Then there are the springs and all the creeks running in on that end. That could make foe some mushy ice. I would bet if you could find the springs, you could find fish.

It is just a lot of hassel to go through, so I just goto Sportsman's Park and drive right out onto the ice, setup and fish.
[signature]
Took my own advice on New Years and tried it for an hour or two about midway against the dam. First pole in immediately had a bite and I reeled in a 7.5 inch perch. However, it went dead for the remainder of my visit and I left with a total of two perch with the second one only about six inches. No trout and no smallies.

The ice was about 12" and starting to get soft on the edges.

FR
[signature]