Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm hooked
Went float tube fly fishing for the first time last Sunday and "I'm hooked"! I borrowed a video on fly casting from the library and here was this guy fishing out in a float tube. I must admit that I had never even heard of this but it looked so great I did a little investigation and ended up buying a Cadis Nevada float tube on e-Bay. Told the wife what a great deal I got but failed to mention the other expenses such as a new fly vest with inflatable life jacket, the air pump, and the fins to propel the tube.[Wink] I even ordered a float-n-tote for my rod which should be delivered in time for my holidays which start this Saturday. I have a trailer located on the St. Lawrence River and there are lots of quiet bays and small estuaries for float tubing. The only problem is the water is always really cold and I feel it in the small of my back. I'll have to figure out a way of keeping the old kidneys warm or else I'll spend half my time headed for shore for a pit stop.

This is only my second season fly fishing but, as I retire in six weeks, I expect to spend alot of time on the water. The wader discussion has been most interesting. At present I am using cheap bootfoot nylon/PVC chest waders but I know that these will have to be replaced when I can scrape together some extra cash. Purchasing anything like this in Canada is substantially more expensive than in the States so I really want to know that what I am buying is what I need/want. Any assistance in this regard would be most appreciated.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Northfly, welcome to the club and welcome to our forum. Hope we can get you properly setup so that you can get the maximum enjoyment from your new affliction/addiction.

My first suggestion, for waders, in your part of the world, is to save your money until you can acquire a good pair of neoprene waders. The water temps in your area are never likely to go much above the mid sixties, and will be quite cool during much of the year. You will fish more comfortably year round with neoprenes. And, if you have a noticeable problem with your midsection becoming chilled, consider a "cummerbund" of fleece or wool, for added warmth.

Since this model does not offer the higher seating of some "mini-pontoons", you may want to consider buying some high-density foam material to use as a "booster seat". If you are not having to carry your craft long distances to launch and beach, a piece of cushion is not a major problem, and it can not only raise your vision level, but your lower extremities in the cold water too. In my Outcast Super Fat Cat, the water level is barely high enough to get the top of my seat wet. I stay much more comfortable in cold water with my inner core above water level.

[Image: Nevada.jpg]

The Caddis line is probably as good a value as you can find among the various manufacturers. I have gone through several Caddis craft over the years and have been well pleased with the designs and the quality. The open ended Nevada model, pictured above, will make it easier for you to launch and beach your craft. Like many of us, I learned floatation fishing from a "donut". While these are still popular, and there will always be a place for them in the mix, they are decidedly more difficult to get in and out of...expecially in areas of mud, rocks or moving water.

Evidently, you have visited some of our past threads on different topics. If you need any special information or input, feel free to post it up and we will do what we can to help you out.
[signature]
Good to have you on the forum! There is nothing quite like fly-fishing from a float-tube. Until I moved to Utah, 95% of the fishing I did was from a float tube. I came down here and fished the rivers for a while and now am getting back onto the water with my tube again (pontoon actually).

For really cold waters I would be tempted to recommend neopreme waders 5mm thickness. However, it may be overkill because 3mm neos work well if you layer properly underneath. I've been float-tubing where there was a thin layer of ice on one end of the pond I was fishing. I have 3.5mm Hodgeman neos that I picked up on an internet closeout for $35 US. I wore a good pair of wool socks, long johns, and fleece sweats/loung pants (fleece lounge pants don't have the elastic around the ankles which can get really annoying wearing waders). On the top I wore long johns, t-shirt, sweater, and jacket. The neos were a bit snug but I was able to fish very comfortably for a few hours.

If you plan on layering though, be sure to buy some neos that are a bit more roomy in the foot especially. Constricted blood flow leads to really cold feet. If I were to buy a new pair of waders, I would take my wool socks (or whatever I was planning to wear on my feet) and bulky winter coat to a sporting goods store with a good selection of waters. Try them on as if you were about to get into the water. If they are comfortable, good. Too tight, keep trying. Then once I found a particular brand/size, I would then start shopping around for the best price, especially the closeouts.

I made the mistake of not allowing room for my layers when I bought my last pair of waders. I have to almost roll them on and do a little dance to get them off.

Good luck on your searching and enjoy the fishing!

ES
[signature]
Don't know how they rate size in the waders as I have never owned a pair but

[url "http://www.gofishin.com"]www.gofishin.com[/url] has neoprene 3.5 mm for around 35 dollars and will ship for free if you buy over 50 dollars. they have great deals on rods and reels as well.
[signature]
Other than the typically usless, S, M, L, XL, neopreme waders are rated by the thickness of the neopreme itself. 3 mm refers to waders whose neopremes are 3.5 millimeters thick, 5 mm are 5 milimeters thick. The thicker the material, the more insulation against the cold the material provides. The down side of the thicker material is its lack of elasticity. If a person decides to go with neopremes thicker than 3.5mm, it is a must that they try them on with all of the clothing they would normally wear on the coldest fishing day of the year. Otherwise, other fisherfolk will be laughing at you as you are jumping up and down trying to get into your waders. I ought to know, I have spent many giggle filled minutes watching my dad try to squeze into his.

ES
[signature]
Thanks for all the info, folks. I had previously been following the Waders...A Necessary Evil thread which had me leaning towards breathables but I think, keeping in mind the water temperatures here are substantially lower than the southern States, I'll check out the 3.5mm neoprenes. It sounds like they would be substantially less expensive and last longer float tubing.

John
[signature]
I think you will like them. Just remember to let them hang dry when you are done. A buddy of mine lets them dry out on the outside and then turns them inside out and lets them dry some more. He said he does that so the seams don't rot out on him. I have a pair of neos that I let my buddies use when I'm teaching them how to fish. I have had that pair for over 7 years. There are a couple of patches on them, but still work great!

ES
[signature]