Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 12/31
Well I said in an "East Canyon" thread that I would make my report on how Rockport was after I fished it today, so here goes.
First of all let me just say that the Humminbird ICE-55 and the Quickfish 6 AND the new power auger are absolutely the best things made for ice fishing. They all preformed fantasticly!!
Got to Rockport at 5:30 am, yep that's right, 5:30 am. The gate was open, I paid my $5 and went up to Pinery (sp) Day use. Got on the ice in my shelter and thought I would get a few through the ice in the dark. Not a chance, they were sleeping like I should have been. About 7 am I started getting bites, not super light but not hard either, the bites lasted all the way until I left at noon. I hooked and landed quite a few fish and needed some for the smoker so I ended up with 3 nice bows and what I am assuming is a nice perch. The bows are not long but they are fat. The perch I kept catching all the time and throwing them back as I am not a perch eater, I figured that alot of you guys are and you would appreciate that. I checked the regs and it did not say you had to keep the perch. I did keep one and all the others were about the same size, I didn't realize until later that I was catching bigger size perch, the one I kept is 11" and most of them were around that size some were 6 to 7 inches. But I probably caught 10 to 12 in the 10 to 11 inch range.
So over all it was a great day.
[signature]
Nice pics! That is a huge perch!
[signature]
dang nice catch. i wish i knew were you were at and what you were using today. i got one bite in sex hours of fishing.
[signature]
NICE!!! I THINK AFTER YOU COOK AND EAT THAT PERCH YOU WILL REGRET TOSSING THE OTHER BACK..[Wink] WAY BETTER THAN TROUT.[Wink]
[signature]
nice report and pictures. i will be on the rock on saturday, probably on the east side north of the boat ramp.
thanks for sharing [cool]
[signature]
i agree.. trout are pretty good eating, but perch blow them out of the water. only problem is with perch is you dont get much meat from each one. so that one perch will be a tease till you can go get some more Smile
[signature]
[cool]Nice report. How deep of water did you find the fish in?
[signature]
Sorry everyone for not replying back sooner, hope this still helps.
I was at Pinery Day Use on the east side, southeast end of the lake. I was in 12 feet of water (I know, crazy cuz the perch are supposed to be out deeper someone told me, to bad they didn't tell the perch that). I was using a Ratfinky, medium size, light green glow in the dark with a meal worm on it. That is the same set up I caught almost everything on. The water right there at Pinery (sp) and that camp ground is 12 feet deep out from the bank almost for 30 yards. The ice is probably a good 8 inches think, be prepared to take a power auger. Now go get em'
[signature]
I fished right around there too yesterday, only fished for about 2 1/2 hours. We iced 3 trout around 16-17 inch rainbows. Lost a nice one at the bottom of my hole. Just like you in about 12-15 feet of water using a radical glow in yellow/glow and pink/glow colors. I think I am going to head up in about an hour I will let everybody know how I do.
[signature]
Your report convinced me to go to rockport instead of strawberry this mounring and go after perch. Me and my buddy went off the boat ramp and walked all the way down to the North End by damn. Caught one real nice rainbow right off the bat and no perch. Drilled holes everywhere from 20-70 feet deep and wasn't marking hardly anything on the finders anywhere that we went. Only ended up with three rainbows. Everyone that we talked to on that side of the lake wasn't catching anything.
Sounds like we may have had better luck going South from the boat ramp. Anybody else doing any good catching perch at Rockport. We heard that it is on the down cycle.
[signature]
Good Job and great report thanks for the info and for sharing. Looks like The Rock is doing alright.
[signature]
Fished Rockport w/buddy today, Jan 1st. Hope 2010 has more in store for me than today's catch. Iced one 'bow who was cruising at 20' down over 60'. That was it. Fished west side pull-out across from ramp, from 40-60'. Heard from guys it was a morning slimer bite which slowed by 10. Not a perch to be found. Packed up & moved to southern end, but decided on a no-go when we met some guys trudging up who said it was s-l-o-w down there. Gorgeous day, tho, with sunny skies, warm temps & solid ice. Sure not as many folks up there as past New Year's wkends.
[signature]
It was extremely slow even for trout. Managed one large trout within 15 min of arrival but nothing after that. No perch whatsoever. That must have been one small isolated school that one fellow found the other day. Time for me to go elsewhere.
[signature]
what does a ratfinky look like where can i get one [fishin]
[signature]
I have been fishing Rockport over the last two days. On the 31st I took a group of scouts there. We Iced 6 fish over about four hours of fishing. I could have been better but my guys have the attention span of a humming bird and twice the energy. There is a section of the ice that looked like swiss cheese. We were fishing small Ice flies tipped with crawlers. It Didn't seem to matter what color. All the fish were 14-16 inches with one exception. A large hooked jaw bow the was 18.5" and weighed two pounds.

Today was Super Slow. We only iced 2 fish between 6 rods (no scouts this trip, I wanted to fish). One was right under the ice and the other was 1 foot off the bottom. We only missed two fish. Let me repeat Slow, slow, slow.

Both days we fished the highway side about two thirds of the was down the lake heading south.
[signature]
go fish the weber if rock is slow. anybody catching tigers? I caught some above rockport today. thought it a bit strange
[signature]
I am going to throw my fly gear in next time for sure. It was a day that my rod eyes wouldn't have frozen.
[signature]