Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod mount on bike
Here is my make shift rod rack for my mountain bike. It is 1 1/2 inch pvc and the end is in the water bottle holder and the top is held in place with a sturdy velcro strap. The notch in the pvc is wide enough for spinning or flyrod. I've made a test ride and it works very nicely. I don't know how it would do on some more serious terrain, but for my needs it is sufficient.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=176;]

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
[cool]Lookin' good. Simple, cheap and functional. Good words for a tombstone.

My one suggestion, in case of rough terrain, would be to have a short length of elastic cord or a small bungee cord to hook up over the reel while on the road.

Now, let's see the trailer hitch and the pontoon on a trailer.

PS...there is a sample pack on the way...of some of the new materials and a few jigs for patterns. I will be putting together a pictorial sequence on how to work with that craft cord that I will either send or post.
[signature]
The Sad thing is that I am trying to design a trailer. A neighber of mine has one of those kid trailers (tow behind bike) that he doesn't want anymore. I'm half tempted to go pick it up for $10 and see if I could modify it. My only concern left now is leaving my bike and trailer somewhere while I'm playing in the water. I guess that is what bike locks are for eh?

I'll be looking for my care package. I picked up some of that sparkly craft felt. It is rather nice to tie with (pics forthcoming tomorrow).

ES
[signature]
[cool]There are lots of bike-in anglers around the country these days. Did more than a little myself. Even tried strapping a tube on my back and peddling...until I got passed by that first 18 wheeler and almost lifted off. The key thing, in our crime-ridden society, is to be sure you always park your bike and lock it...in plain view of where you are fishing. If this is not possible, try to find someone trustworthy to keep an eye on it for you. I used to have a couple of residences near the lower river that allowed me to keep my bike inside their back yard or garage when I hiked the rest of the way to the water.

Almost any kind of light trailer should suffice to drag your toon behind. I seem to recall there are connectors that fit on the rear wheel axle. I haven't been in bike shops much these days, but I'm sure you can find something with which to get started.
[signature]
here's were japanron and i get in , foam pipe insulation . it will keep your rod from abrasion from bouncing around . i have a similar set up on my bike except the rod holder is mounted just above the petal sproket and angeled back past the rear brake assembly . keeps the reel handle out of my legs way and a lot easier to dismount the bike .

like the bike trailer idea , sounds like it's worth the investment [cool] !
[signature]
That is a nice way to tote the rod EmuScud. Where is your favorite place to pedal in to fish? You'll have to let us know if you convert the bike trailer into a toon carrier. Should be interesting. Good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
[#ff0000]It's good to see another mountain bike - n - fish kind of outfit. I just put one of those Bell back fender racks on mine that I bungee most of my gear to, seems to work well. I've been looking for someone to hook up with for a trip or two this summer. One good thing about the lower water levels is it's a blast to mountain bike the shorelines. We went all over the place at Yuba last fall peddling along the shorelines. We did a mountain bike, skin dive, and fish trip to Flaming Gorge last summer for a major blast. Bike the shore and trails, snorkel the underwater cliffs and reel in the Kokanee every day, not much better in life. This year I'd like to at least try the bunchgrass trail up to White Pine Lake for some overnight Brook trout action. I'm kind of old and slow so you should be able to have camp set up and fish frying in the pan by the time I get up there but I could probably keep up on the way back down! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
Lonehunter -- Thanks for the heads up on the insulation. I do think there would be some room for it and the rod. Can you pick that stuff up at a Home Depot or something like that? Or would I need to go to a refrigeration supply outfit?

Theekillerbee -- I have just recently moved into my first home out in west Provo. I am about a 3 min ride to the Provo River trail and about a 10 min bike ride via the trail to Utah Lake State Park. I'm just starting to explore that secion of the river. I went for a ride to test out my contraption last weekend and saw a ton of carp and hopefully the bluegill will start moving up into the river soon as well.

Neveronsunday -- Those trips sound amazing! I had thought about getting a rack for my bike. That would mean that I had to explain to my sweetheart why I needed some other "toy" for fishing. Someday . . .

When I get this section of the Provo River figured out a bit more, you'll have to come down and I'll show you some of the holes. I am excited to hook into some of those carp on my 7 1/2' 3 wgt flyrod. Lots of fun!

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
TOYS R US , WALL MART , K- MART , EVEN THE DOLLER STORES HAVE THEM . THERE A KIDS POOL TOY . 4 FOOT LONG , ABOUT 4 INCHES WIDE , HAVE A HOLE IN THE CENTER ALREADY ( LIKE A GIANT MACARONNIE ) MADE OF THE SAME PLASTIC FOAM AS REGULAR ROD RACKS USE . WATERPROOF !

THEY USUALLY SELL FOR A BUCK OR TWO AND HAVE A MILLION USES ! SEVERAL FLASHEY COLORS TOO !
[signature]

Hi there lonehunter,

Although it's been around for awhile, I'm now using some floatation material that I got from Home depot a.k.a. candy store. It's in the copper tubing and insulation aisle and is a nice dark gray in color. A branch near me has 4 foot lengths in 4 different inside diameters. It seems like the density of the foam is much tighter than the regular pool stuff yet the floatation seems about the same as the foam with larger spaces. Costs a 1.97 a piece.

I've let it soak and water absorption doesn't seem to be a problem. I've got a feeling it will not decompose like some of the 'foam' stuff I got a hold of in the old days.

JapanRon
[signature]
home depot is a sixtey mile trip for me ONE WAY ! they gotta pull me outta there kicking and screaming untill i spend every last penny [Wink]
[signature]
[cool]I tell everybody that I own stock in Home Depot. They just do not send me the certificates or pay me the dividends.

Out here in the Phoenix area they are becoming as numerous as convenience stores. We affectionately refer to them as "Agent Orange".

But, they do have the pipe insulation material at a reasonable rate...and lots of PVC and other stuff I can't live without.
[signature]