Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Bye My Friend!
God Bless John and Rest In Peace. I will miss seeing you and your wife on the ice! You will be remembered always!

Don

Idaho Falls Man Drowns in PaliSades Reservoir

[Image: pxl_trans.gif]
[#000000][size 2]
Bonneville County Search and Rescue has recovered the body of a man from Idaho Falls who was setting up for ice fishing.
The Bonneville County Sheriff's Office says 66-year-old John Young was reported missing Wednesday night in the Indian Creek area of PaliSades Reservoir.
Search and rescued started their search in the water Thursday using underwater sonar. They found Young's body under the ice and got it out.
It looks like the ice broke as he was getting ready to fish.
[/size][/#000000]
Our prayers go out to his family....

Let us all reflect and be cuatious when we go out fishing. Even the experienced fishermen can be caught off guard......

Be safe all of you...

Match
[signature]
Very Sad to hear this...God speed.

OvidCreek
[signature]
John was such a great guy and loved Ice fishing... I guess if he had to go he just as well have been doing one of the things he loved...
My prayers go out to his family and friends.
God bless...
[signature]
Sad to hear about John. Lets be careful on the ice. Don't go alone and take ropes and the gear to get out alive if we bust through.

SteelFisher
[signature]
What kind of ropes and gear are needed?
[signature]
PFD or flotation cushion.

Ice Picks or screw drivers to help pull yourself out.

Extra clothes or blankets in a dry bag.

Rope to throw to someone that has broken through the ice.

A rope that drags behind your sled that someone can grab from a safe distance to pull you out.

Google ice fishing safety and read as much as you can find before going out.

I found the tips below with Google.

Here are some tips for staying safe on the ice:

· There should be a minimum of six inches of hard ice before individual foot travel.

· Stay off the ice along the shoreline if it is cracked or squishy. Don’t go on the ice during thaws.

· Watch out for thin, clear or honeycombed ice. Dark snow and ice may also indicate weak spots.

· Small bodies of water tend to freeze thicker. Rivers and lakes are more prone to wind, currents and wave action that weaken ice.

· Don’t gather in large groups on the ice.

· Don’t drive large vehicles onto the ice.

· If you break through, try not to panic. Move or swim back to where you fell in. Lay both arms on the unbroken ice and kick hard. This will help lift your body onto the ice. A set of ice picks, worn around the neck, can aid in a self-rescue. Once out of the water, don’t stand but roll away from the hole until you reach solid ice.

The best method for determining ice thickness is carry a spud bar, or chisel, and test the thickness when walking onto a frozen lake. That’s especially true if no one recently has been on the lake.

SteelFisher
[signature]
Rest in peace prayers to the family and friends
[signature]
I didn't know John, but my prayers are with his family. Hopefully we can all learn from this. There is no such thing as safe ice and we all take a calculated risk everytime we go out.

Windriver
[signature]
agreed rest in piece . Makes me sick to think about it
[signature]
Ya this is horrible to hear. i cant help but think of my self in the same situation, makes me rethink some of that thin ice i have been on in the past.
[signature]
Agreed. Best wishes to the family. Everything that I have heard is that John was a great guy.

I probably push it as much as anyone. I do take most of the safety precautions mentioned (except waiting for six inches and going with another human) and a few extra ones but always realize that it is a calculated risk as Windriver mentioned. If we do it enough, we will all take the plunge. One of the better ways to go though.

Too bad there is not a collection of information concerning close calls and fatalities. The aviation groups post the information annually so that others can learn from mistakes......
[signature]
Prayers for the Family and friends.
[signature]
That is a terrible thing to lose a loved one that way. My prayers for the family and friends.

We all take a chance when we step out on the ice but you take chances every day in all things. You just have to enjoy the hobbies you love and try to be prepared for the worse.... sometimes even that doesn't help.
very sorry for your loss
Don J.

P.S
You should post this on the Utah board we have some cowboys over there that treat thin ice like a bragging board- how thin will you go kinda thing! Sounds like your friend was on safer ice then what most of the guys over there go out on (1.5 to 2) it might remind people how dangerous the ice can be even 4 to 6 inches.
[signature]
Very unfortunate, my prayers are with the family. This area can be very "iffy" at best, we dropped 12 snow machines through the ice in a past tournement in this very area. Several others, myself included also went through with at least one leg. I'll not be fishing this area again as this thread more than confirms the poor ice conditions at Indian Creek. There tends to be alot of snow on soft ice which in thought scares the hell out of me in an attempt to get out. Even out in the middle there are usually large pockets of water under the snow.
[signature]