Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
input on flashers
hey guys im gonna go buy a flasher like the vexlar whats a good one to get that i wont want to upgrade later. what models/brands do you guys recomend? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BIG JIM
[signature]
There was a thread on here a month or two ago that covered the same topic. In a nutshell there is the Marcums, Vexilars, and now Hummingbird has flashers that I was looking at the last time I was at Cabelas.
Check them all out and see which you prefer. Functions are all about the same.
I have a Vexilar Fl-18, Marcum LX-3, LX-3tx, and LX5. If you would like, we could hit the ice and you could check them all out. Let me know.

IceAndFly
[signature]
I did alot of research before I bought mine this year and I agree with IceandFly that you need to buy the one that you like. I personaly went with the new Humminbird ICE-55 because of a few things that I liked about that one. If you guys have not seen one working let me know sometime if you want to go fishing and you can see it work there.
[signature]
I've used the Vexilar FL-18 for the last 5years and it is well worth the money for sure! I haven't had any problems with mine and my fishing has greatly improved cause of it.
[signature]
I was the one who started the thread a month ago that you are talking about. I did some research and ended up with a Marcum LX-5. I'm not so sure I like it though. I ran into a guy at Pineview that had a Vexilar FL-12 and it seemed easier to read. I'm now considering returning the Marcum for possibly a Vexilar FL-20. Out of the ones you have, which do you prefer? I didn't like the instruction book mine came with. I don't think it was written for someone that has never used a flasher before as in the case with me. I would like to meet up with you sometime and get some pointers on how to use it, maybe before I trade it in. Do you hit pineview at all?
[signature]
I would really like to take you up on your offer! I have never used a flasher and would love to pick your brain and get a crash coarse on the ice. I am available to go anyday of the week. Let me know what your schedule is like and lets run up to the berry.[fishin]

Thanks,
BIG JIM
[signature]
Dont know what your scheldule is like but id love to get away during the weekdays and avoid the crowds if you can swing it let me know.
BIG JIM
[signature]
Here's a link to Vexilar instructional videos.

[url "http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html"]http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_videos.html[/url]

We have the FL-12...not disappointed one bit. I'm no techno geek so if I can figure them out anyone can...very easy to use and IMHO a must for the hard deck.
[signature]
The Hummingbird has been pretty impressive this year. My buddy, I go with a lot has the 35 and it has the same amount of watts as the FL 20. All the hummingbird models also have the zoom feature and the dual beam beam sonar "Wider view". You don't get those features until you get into the FL 18 I believe. Correct me if I am wrong please. If you look at the Hummingbird model 55 it has twice as many watts as the FL 20. It also has a 6 color display for more accurate readings. There are 2 cons with a Hummingbird I have found. It's a little heavier and makes a little more noise. All in all my personal opinion is the any of the hummingbird models are the best bang for your buck!!!
[signature]
I just recently got the MarCum LX-5 and love it. After doing little research it seemed with the MarCum you get little bit more flasher for the money. But any of them would be good, they all work and help catch more fish.
[signature]
[quote Fin-Addict]I didn't like the instruction book mine came with. I don't think it was written for someone that has never used a flasher before as in the case with me.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]My Vexilar FL-20 came with an instruction DVD that made the learning process effortless. My first trip out with it 3 years ago, I felt like a pro using it.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I bought the vexilar fl-18 when it came out many years ago. I dont see any reason why I would ever need to change or upgrade. It does everything I want and runs in sub zero weather with no problems. If I flip my sled at 50 mph or drop it in the lake, I will probably buy another one just like it. It has the dual cone and shows my jig at any depth I have ever fished. Thats all I need.
[signature]
I just purchased a Marcum LX-5 & have always used a Garmin 240 fish finder in the past. Some advantages & diSadvantages that I have noticed.

Advantages:

(1) Very sensitive. I can see both my swivel and jig while fishing. The two flashes on the screen are a little annoying. I may have to start fishing without a swivel. I could also see the little 3-5 inch chubs while fishing at Scofield the other day.

(2) you can discriminate out other fish finders around you - a big big plus on a busy Saturday.

(3) very easy to set up & move. Very light in weight.

(4) Battery appears to last at least twice as long as the fish finder. Very easy to charge the battery & know how much charge is left on the battery.

(5) variable depth zoom. You can zoom in at any depth of the column.

DiSadvantages:

(1) I do not think the depth reading is very accurate. The Marcum was telling me I was fishing in 36 and I measured the depth to be 25 feet. This is only a problem if you are telling others where the fish are. It is not a problem for the owner as you can see your jig depth in relation to the fish.

(2) no past history or alarm if fish swim through your cone. You have to see the flash to know there are fish.
[signature]
Never used a Vexilar or Marcum. But after a lot (I mean a lot!) of asking questions, internet research, reading, etc. I ended up buying the Hummingbird Ice-55.
Exceptionally happy with it. Has a larger dial than the other two brands and also has a digital depth read out in the center....making telling the depth way easier than just the lines on the screen.
Well worth every dime.
Fished in extreme temps with it....has not frozen. And is very quiet.
After a long day of fishing......the battery was charged back to full after about 20 min.
Can't say anything about the others, but the Hummingbird Ice 55 met and triple over-shot my expectations.
So easy to use and figure out that I never even read the instructions and if anyone needed a video.......you should just stay home.
Have never owned a flasher unit before and didnt know much about them....but was rockin and rollin like a pro first time out. Very easy to understand and use.
[signature]
JigginJim and FinAddict: PM sent.
[signature]
Really, does it matter if it's a vex or a marcum, or a humminbird? Does it really matter if it's a flasher or a good lcd? They all show fish. After you see them of the sonar, you watch your line for the bite indication. It cracks me up how big of a deal we make of all of this! BTW, I own a Marcum LX-5 and have owned several high end sonars; currently an LCX-27c, that have been rigged for the ice and they all show the same stuff. I prefer the LCD in deeper water though I've used the Marcum to fish deep water macks also. Definitely not as good in my opinion.

I see someone said it's an advantage on the flasher to see your swivel. You can't see it on an LCD? I can see a double uni knot that ties my leader to my main line with the LCX-27c. How much more do you need to see?

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the upper end units. Buy as much as you can afford because you definitely get what you pay for. Fish them all and then decide.
[signature]
I have to agree with Rich. It doesn't really matter. They all work, but a few opinions never hurt. When I was looking to buy it was sure nice to see some in action. (I even looked at Rich's! ) Most folks on the ice are more than happy to talk about their toys. My son walked all over the lakes checking out sonar units so he could make a good decision. People were really good to show him their sonar outfits. If time and schedules workout, I'm happy to let someone check out the units I have. Folks helped me, and I'm happy to pass it along.

So now we're done with LCD vs Flasher & Marcum vs Vexilar vs Hummingbird......how about the ageless discussion of Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy[:p]

IceAndFly...aka Chester
[signature]
Chevy........lol
[signature]
+1

chevy
[signature]
That's a no brainer. GMC had to get money from the government, Chrysler had to get my money too. If I was to buy a new truck tomorrow, it would be the one who hasnt asked me to keep them in business. FORD
[signature]