Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch in Bear Lake
[cool]I will start a new thread on perch fishing tactics, to give everyone a chance to chip in their old family secrets.
[signature]
Speaking of using whole perch a bait, I have never tried it but one evening last year about this time, I was at jordanelle in the north arm near the road bed anchored over a school of perch. I was using small tubes w/perch strips and on several reel ins I notice smallies chasing my catch, even grabbing at them. This happened 5 or 6 times. Just before dark I had a slight tap and then nothing. I left my jig setting near bottom and couple minutes later WHAM, my pole bent staight down in the water. I set the hook or so I thought and started battling a very nice fish, he hung on until I got him close to the boat, then he spit it out. To my surprise a 4" perh was hooked to my jig. Since then I have tried whole perch a couple times for smallies and it hasn't been productive but I think that if smallies are chasing your perch in they are actively feeding on them and in this case I would definitely try using a small whole perch again.
[signature]