Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
windy wanship
My lil buddy and I hit the Rock today with moderate success. I went out to target perch but had no luck. I fished from 10-45 ft of water and couldn't find not a one of those tasty little critters. Last year was the same way. Where'd they go? I know they're there but man hard to find. Now the trout on the other hand were all over the finder and could've caught 'em all day (which i started doin about noon). Iced 12 slimers and all 16 or better healthy fish. Nice brown at 18 1/2. Great time, great company but man was it windy.
[signature]
Your buddy is either FREEZING or happy as heck and seeing he is under 20 years of age, I am betting HAPPY.
Kids can sit out there till their lips turn blue....[laugh]

Nice haul.
[signature]
ya he's a trooper. i bring the shack for him but he's like his dad a mountain watcher. now i just gotta figure out what he's using...he outfishes me every time!
[signature]
They just do, some how.[laugh]
[signature]
[cool]Nice job on those slimers today! It sounds like the trout fishery there has actually gotten better the past couple of years while the perch fishery has declined.

The perch population reportedly somewhat crashed during the winter of '05-06 with thousands of dead perch reported along the shorlines at ice-off. There are still decent amounts of perch there, but they don't have to compete as much for food as they did pre-crash, so they are well fed right now and aren't very interested in jigs tipped with bait. I've marked them on my fish finder the past couple of years in my favorite spots on the West side, but they all had lock-jaw... I'm no biologist, but it's my opinion that they need to have a couple more years of big successful spawns for there to be more fish competing for the perch food on the bottom before they will start hitting the jigs again. Hope I am wrong and it picks up sooner than that... In the meantime, enjoy the slimer fishing...
[signature]