Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving Cars on lakes?
Last year while ice fishing in Montana we drove a full size truck all over Bair Lake.

Why do people in Eastern Idaho not go out with their cars? Is it the type of Reservoirs we have, edges, etc...

Anyone remember the ice races on Mud Lake?

[inline thin-ice-chart.gif]

Windriver
[signature]
They drive on the lake above Salmon as well. I think where the ice is good enough to drive on the snow is generally to deep. I'm not sure my truck has "flood" insurance so I'll keep it in the lot. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
[Wink]
Two years ago I brought my brother in law out for his first ice fishing trip to Daniel's. He had never been before and was worried about the ice being thick enough to hold him. I was there a few days earlier. Pulled up and without stopping drove out on the ice a few vehicle lengths in my full size dodge. He freaked, about dropped a deuce and bailed. I laughed so hard I think I spotted myself. It was a great day fishing too. As a kid I remember driving my old mans car all over lake Placid N.Y. when the Olypics were there.
[signature]
Great story, hope you both had a change of underwear.
[signature]
Be safe.
[signature]
The ice car races that I remember took place on the slough just east of Roberts. Are those the ones you're talking about? When I was a teenager, my dad and cousin took me to Mud Lake to fish through the ice. They were following a two rut road that approached the lake from the West. It turned into ice a bit short of the main lake, and we broke through and high centered the car. What a booger, having to jack it up and throw stuff under the back tires to try to back it out. It took a couple of hours, and we never did get to fish.
[signature]
you might be right. I was young when I saw them. I thought I was on Mudlake, but maybe not.

Windriver
[signature]
I haven't ice fished for ever but i have only seen one truck out on the ice. we were out fishing and seen some one pull up to the boat ramp . thought well guess we have company. then in horror i seen them just drive out. omg the coming right towards us. the old guy pulled right up to us and asked us how fishing was. to tell ya the truth I just about took off running.
[signature]
Where were you at? I really think I could have driven on the ice at Mackay a couple of weeks ago. The ice was really thick and the pressure ridge looked solid.

Windriver
[signature]
That was up to Oakley, ice was a foot thick or so but this was an older 3/4 ton ford scared the crap out of me. we have took 4 wheelers out on ice a lot thinner than you would think would hold them but the water was only around 2 feet. I pull a little boat and trailer with my goose decoys in it and never had a problem.
[signature]
[quote windriver]Where were you at? I really think I could have driven on the ice at Mackay a couple of weeks ago. The ice was really thick and the pressure ridge looked solid.

Windriver[/quote]

I think you are right. That day we were up there with 17" of clear ice, driving on it wouldn't have been a problem.
[signature]
Look up on youtube truck falls through ice. There is one where there is a whole group of cars sinking through the ice into shallow water. Not saying you shouldn't drive on the ice it's just interesting. I personally would be a little freaked out about it. I would feel more comfortable on a 4 wheeler or snow machine. But then again they have those ice road trucker guys who drive semis on it.
[signature]
How about NEXT to the ice.

[Image: gview-1.png]
[signature]
Not saying I'm going to try it in Idaho. I just find it interesting that we don't do it here and yet there are many places where people are driving all over with no problem.

Windriver
[signature]
I think the ice is plenty thick enough to drive on, but most of the resvoirs I fish on, even with four wheel drive, I don't think I could get back up the ramp.
[signature]