Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiregrass
anyone ever fish wiregrass res there west of Downey??
[signature]
I have been there and looked at it, but not fished it. It is very, very, very small and shallow. From what I understand -- it gets drained dry frequently. It is a put and take trout fishery, and is usually fished out fairly soon. At least that is what I was told.

Both times that I have been there it was very weedy and drawn down --- shallow.
[signature]
Sounds like a great place to go practice[Wink]
[signature]
I wouldn't be a bad place to practice, especially if you get there early in the year. By midsummer it is drawn way down and the weeds are all the way up to the dam.
To give you an idea of the size of Wiregrass I did a compostite picture of Wiregrass and Daniels at the same scale. As you can see Wiregrass would fit easily into the smallest covearm of Daniels. In my opinion it is about as small as reservoirs go --- think large beaverpond!
[signature]
I see[shocked] But what the heck, I go to the put and takes here in Parks to practice. Allot of fun and great way to kill a day doing what I love.
Sometimes it is more a challenge to get the little nert nerts to bite than a trophy.
[signature]
Here is an older satellite photo from Aug of1993. You can get a better idea of the depth and weeds from it. I know that fish and game have done fish salvage on it several summers. I am curious why they stock it on a regular basis and don't stock others like Oxford Res. ???

By the way I like the historical sat images on Google Earth for looking at waters at different times of the year. Educational!
[signature]
I love the little fisheries! Small streams and high lakes are really my favorite. I don't have anything against small or against Wiregrass either. I just think that if you are going to come from a ways away to explore it, be prepared for what to expect. I am not trying to dissuade anyone from exploring.

I think in the spring it would be a great little place to chase the planters and have some early fun. I live about a half an hour away from Wiregrass, but I always get lured off to fish somewhere else. There are so many choices!!
[signature]