Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod holders, can get u in troble
[size 2][font "Courier New"]Rod holders are great they allow you to take more rods with different set-ups.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Just make sure you tie the one you are using to you.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Yep you heard me right.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I have never worried about dropping a rod out of my rod holder.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I never in my wild-eyed dream thought I would drop a rod in my hands.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]But it happened yesterday.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I think it was because it was so humid, it was miserable, I never [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Hold a rod with a death grip anyway.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I was casting and I am guessing I [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]bumped the side of my tube and there it went, what I could do.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]But watch it sink in horror.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]About 500 bucks.[/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Fish tremble at the mention of my name[/font][/size]

[signature]
bummer dude really sorry to hear about your loss that sucks i'm about to buy a tube already figured a system for a couple of rod holders i will be sure to heed your advice

chris
[signature]
OUCH![mad]
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Steve, I vote your story as the heartbreaker of the week. Losing a favorite rod is right up there with losing a family member...or a good dog. You will always get a twinge when you think of it.

But, you make a good point. You should pay attention to keeping a good hold on your tackle. Fishing from a tube, over deeper water, it is almost guaranteed that you will lose the rod forever if it drops over. And, it happens to boaters too...a lot more than you might think. I have dredged up quite a few complete outfits while bottom bouncing with my little jigs. And, when I used to dive a lot (before my perforated eardrum), I found lots of stuff dropped over the sides of boats...or float tubes. On some lakes that are suffering from drought conditions, you can go out and walk on dry land that was once lake bottom and pick up an amazing amount of goodies. Much of it has been ruined by a long soaking, but other stuff is still salvageable.

It is probably too much to hope, but best wishes for recovering your rig. And, by the way, how was the fishing...otherwise?
[signature]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]The fishing was the best I have ever had on the lake, only I lost interest after that.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]But really I was pulling them in on almost every cast.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I was having a good time, but it was like loosing a good friend, [/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2]PS[/size][/font]

[font "Courier New"][size 2]the fish store wanted me to wait one more day so his rep could look at it.[/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Fish tremble at the mention of my name[/font][/size]
[signature]
It wouldn't have helped in this situation, but I was thinking that when I finally decided to make rod holders, for the new tube I'm going to get, I'm going to make them with a little rubber strap (piece of old inner-tube) that will lock the reel into the holder. Sort of like the ones that Scotty puts on the rod holders that they make for boats. That's a hell of a loss though. That's one reason I'd hate to have to go and get some new fishing stuff. I'd rather it be because I have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket!
Justin
[signature]
[cool]I buy two different sizes of small stretch cord at a local military surplus store. It runs from about 30 cents to a dollar a foot, and is great for snapping up over reels when launching and beaching, to keep from losing tackle if you get clumsy. Once you are stable and on the water, the potential for loss is minimized...but not eliminated.

You can find different kinds of stretch cord at hiking sections of sporting goods outlets and sometimes at building supply places. They also have different sized premade bungee cords. I have a whole bunch of them, in different thicknesses and length, and use them a lot for anchoring loose gear.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]Hey thanks guys,[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I went and spent the last of my savings.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I brought a Calcutta 200 TE-GT to replace the one I lost.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I have a resist strap now hope this never happens again.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I was shocked to find out how may times this happens.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]As I searched for a diver many angles confessed to me about their losses.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Only they didn't want anyone to know.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]But the Tackle store still loves me, LOL[/font][/size]
[signature]
[cool]About the only way you can rationalize your loss is that you are doing your part to keep the economy healthy. But man, do you have to do it in such a painful way.

It would still be nice if a diver could get your original back. Good Luck.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]Halleluiah! I have my rod and reel that I lost two weeks ago BACK, [/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]Halleluiah! Halleluiah! Halleluiah! you know what I mean. [/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]the soaking didn't hurt it at all. [/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]wow! I am so stoked. [/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]I hired a diver and he went in to the lake today at 7:45 I floated out to the spot I thought I lost it. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]he swam out to me and rested a bit then said this is a shot in the dark, don't get your hopes up to high, it could have already been found,[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I said we'll just hope for the best and accept what happens. [/font][/size]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]He dove out of sight I said a prayer and two seconds later my rod came up out of the water. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]It looks as good as new. [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]A very thankful Steve Clark[/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2][/size][/font]
[signature]
Now that was some good luck there or maybe it was the prayer prabably a combination of both working together. What ever it was keep a good grip on it next time.
[signature]
Luck ?

Na! It was all prayer. [angelic]

I have a set of those squese things and I am building up my death grip.

I never want to go through that again

I might look into a velcro stap.

Steve
[signature]