Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with the wiper
I have been to Willard 3 afternoons in the last week. I have struck out every time. I am usualy able to get 2 or 3 up. I did go Sat. morning and caught 2 on a white curly tail, but I cant get one in the afternoon. Does the extreamly hot days cause problems? Or was I just lucky before and now I can't buy a fish.

PS Does the "Boil" realy exist. I have been to willard quite a bit this year and haven't seen anything close to what I have been described as a boil.
[signature]
Yes the boil does exist. I have seen them and when you do you will know it. I found fishing just as the sun goes down good.
[signature]
most boils I have participated in occur right before sundown. Most between 8:30 -10:00 at night!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]In the hot summer days, I don't even bother fishing Willard during the day. I only fish it early morning or late evening. I can't hook a thing during the heat of the day. The best boils are generally accompanied by turns (birds) diving into them. So watch for circling diving birds and get there quick. DON'T drive your boat into the middle of the boil or you will scare the fish away. Approach a boil quietly and gently and you will have great fun![/size][/font]
[signature]
I've seen the birds doing the dive bomb thing, but haven't noticed any top water action. Would you assume there are fish their? What do you do when you get close? Cast a jig or repala or something else?
[signature]
last year was my first year of fishing for wipers, and I learned the hard way, that throwing expensive plastics and top waterbaits isnt very smart into boils after one boil and $20 later, I personally learned that white or pearl curly tailed grubs on a 1/4 once jig head is just as effective if not more effective. Plus alot less money when a big fish takes off with the bait!!! But I was also using 14 lb spider wire and I wasnt a fan!!! But I am more impressed with fire wire now. SO maybe that was the problem. But I am a fan of the curly tail grub adn the boil
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Birds don't always mean fish and you can have boils without bird activity. JMHO but I would rather work topwater lures any day over curlytail grubs. Nothing like watching the water explode under your "spook" as a wiper hits it on the surface. If they miss another may be right behind it and hit it again. Grubs work but topwater rules...[/size][/font]
[signature]
I agree BLM there is nothing like top water for those wiper.It is an adrenelan rush watching them come up behind it and hit it.I think they hit it harder than they do the grubs.
[signature]