Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk & Deer Hunt Permits
Ok, so I am completely new to hunting, tried to read the Big Game guidebook and my head is spinning. I want to hunt elk and possibly deer. It appears that the Bull Elk permits are part of the big game drawing? Can you get a permit the first year you try? Does it take a couple of years to draw the permit? How does it work?!?!? Also buck deer permits, how does that draw work?
[signature]
Rainbow-
Welcome to the hunting community. There are lots of folks here willing to answer any questions you may have. I don't hunt deer so I'm not much help there. You do have to draw for deer and depending on the unit you apply for, it can take years to get one. Some units are more popular than others, but again, other folks on the forum would be better equipped to inform you there. As for elk, I'm your man. Here in Utah, elk permits are sold on a first come, first served basis, unless you plan to hunt limited entry, CWMU, or some other 'specialty' hunt. Otherwise you just show up at your local sporting goods store on whatever day, I believe it's July 17th this year, and buy your permit. And for elk you don't pick a unit. You pick spike bull or any bull and then you can hunt any of the several units of each type. Archery and rifle hunts each have a few different rules but they're pretty straight-forward. I hope I didn't just confuse you more. It's probably about as clear as mud right now. But I've been there and I know the frustration so you just shoot me a PM anytime. I don't check this forum all that often but if you send a private message I'll see it. Best of luck!
[signature]
Ok I will try and explain it as well as I can.
Feb 1st the big game draw will open for Utah. At this time you will apply for all the big game permits you are interested in. There are a few different types of units. First there are "General Season Units" and next there are "Limited Entry units". There are also CWMU permits which are basically a Limited Entry on Private land. You can usually hunt Deer and Elk on "General" units every year IF you want to hunt the Northern region. The general units for deer are divided into sections. Northern, Southern, Ect. The Elk units are divided into "Spike Bull Units" and "Any Bull units". Most of the "Any Bull units are located in the northern part and NE part of the state.
The Limited Entry hunts for deer and elk are very hard to draw and I would say on average you will wait 5-8 years for a good deer permit and 10-16 years for a good elk permit (No joke). CWMUs are a little easier to draw but you are left at the mercy of the property owner and you can get ripped off pretty bad sometimes.
So lets go over your general season options. It would help to have a little more info (What area you want to hunt, what wepon, ect). Lets say you want to hunt the Northern Region for deer. And you want to get an "Any Bull" elk tag as well. You should draw both tags fairly easy. I would warn you though, elk hunting the "Any Bull" units is very hard and the success rate is very low. You have a much better chance at a spike bull on a "Spike Bull" unit. You chances at shooting a deer are fair if you know where to go and you do your homework. But I wouldn't set your sights on a big buck. The season is only 3 days this year too, so I would consider that.
So what you need to do before Feb 1st is figure out what is more important to you: Deer or Elk. I would personally build points for elk and hunt deer/elk on the general season. So you will apply for a good elk unit and then for your second choice you will put a general "Any Bull" elk tag. So if you by some miracle draw the good elk unit you will get to hunt that and if you don't, you will default to your second choice (General tag).
Tell me exactly what you would like to do and I will try to lead you through the process. What Wepon,What Unit, Ect.
Hope what I have so far hasn't Confused you too bad. Feel free to ask me any questions.
[signature]
Thanks for your help, it actually makes more sense now. For a weapon, I would like to use a rifle. As for area, I am not really sure. I would like to stay in the northern section of the state (closer to home) but would be willing to go elsewhere if I had a better chance to get one. I like your advice on applying for limited entry and general, that seems like a good way to go. I would like to apply for a limited entry elk permit and then general season "spike bull". I am not sure what limited entry areas are good. Which area should I apply for? If it takes several years to draw, thats fine, it will allow my three boys to grow older and enjoy the hunt more. With a general "spike bull" permit, can I hunt in any "spike bull" area or does the permit specify the unit? Should I go with the "any bull" in order to stay in the northern section of the state?
[signature]
Like I said before, most of the "Any bull" hunts are extremely hard and you are lucky to even SEE an elk in most places. The most popular places are the Uintas and the DWR wma areas.
If you decide to get a spike bull permit, there are several areas you can hunt it as well. For example if you are familiar with Monte Cristo, one side of the road is "Any Bull" and the other is "Spike Bull" (LE). So you can hunt close to home wether you choose a "Any Bull" or "Spike bull" permit. I will post up some maps for you to check out.
My advice to you is to look into a spike tag on the Wasatch LE or the Manti LE (If you are somewhat familiar with those areas. Those two areas have the biggest elk herds in the state and would provide you with the best chance at a spike IMO.
What you really need to do is find someone that hunts and knows a few places that they would be willing to help you out on. It's going to be really hard to try and hunt without knowing the first thing about elk hunting and where to go.
I'll go get some maps to post up
[signature]
"With a general "spike bull" permit, can I hunt in any "spike bull" area or does the permit specify the unit? Should I go with the "any bull" in order to stay in the northern section of the state? "

[#400080]Its great that you are involving your kids in hunting. Some great advice has already been given.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]With a spike permit, you can only hunt in open "spike" units. Spike hunts will give you your best chance at killing an elk. However, most hunts are marginal (for harvest) at best.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]Make sure to start applying yourself and your sons for Limited Entry hunts. Building bonus/preference points is a must.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]Also, look into applying for the youth only elk hunt.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]If you apply and draw a Northern Permit, let me know and I can give you some areas to try.[/#400080]
[#400080][/#400080]
[#400080]Our management in Utah has some serious issue but with a little research and work, you can still have a great hunt. Good luck.

[/#400080]
[signature]
Here's the DWR map of the Northern Region elk hunting areas. I added a few notes on the "any bull" units.

Also, here's the link to the 2010 Big Game Guidebook. I would suggest reading this real well and then read it again and again. I pick up new things every time and I have gone through it 1000 times.

[font "Times New Roman"][url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/guidebooks.html"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/guidebooks.html[/url][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]If you need any help/specifics on areas in the Northern region, shoot me a PM and I can help you out.[/font]
[signature]