Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a good float tube for $40?
I found this float tube in the gart sports ad this week it is for the university mall store but i bet it would be honored at all locations. Anyways it is a Caddis The Nevada float tube here are some specks taken from a website: Nevada

420 denier nylon packcloth, double stitched on critical seams, improved wide nylon coated all mesh working and stripping apron, padded stabilizer bar, two main equipment pockets, custom vinyl u-shape main bladder, fluorescent safety accents, backrest bladder, front rod holder, multiple D-rings, oversized 1000 denier cordura seat, bungee cords, self-repairing zippers, brass drainage outlets, dry-fly patch, storage and carrying handles, bladder repair kit.

Weight capacity 250 lbs.
Oh and the price is good till the 24th of july.
[signature]
Almost anything that doesn't leak for $40.00 is a good deal. I didn't see anything in your description about oars and fins. I'm sure they are included but if it doesn't specify I'd double check. The fins alone can cost more than your paying for the tube. I know because I've lost a fin {it didn't float} and am now looking for a new set.
[signature]
It looks nice to me the only thing is the weight capacity (I'm not very skinny)
[signature]
You won't get a new one much cheaper than that i would say the price is right another 25.00 for fins and your ready to go.
[signature]
if its named NEVADA, it's a WINNER!

[laugh] [Wink]

sm
[signature]
I specifically bought the Caddis float tube fins because they float. At about 35-40 bucks a set. From what I've seen so far if you buy a float tube you still have to buy the fins and a personal floatation device. Unless you're already set up with the extras you're looking at about $100 and you're set to go.
[signature]
Thanks, those are actualy the fins I was looking at. It would be crazy to buy some that didn't float. Especially as fumbled-fingers as I am. thanks
[signature]
You can also put a strap on the fins that sink so if the unthinkable happens, the fins just dangle from your ankle.

That is a good deal for anything that is not the traditional truck tire shape. Good luck!

ES
[signature]
[cool]My opinion is that you "hooked up" to a good deal. Those tubes are listed around $90 with most of the online outlets. Gart has sprung for some pretty nice prices on tubing equipment lately.

I like the Caddis line. I have used and abused several Caddis "donuts" over the years, and have never experienced any problems with quality.

I have also discovered that their systems will comfortably float more than the rated weight. Although if someone weighs much more than 250, it is a good idea to find a craft rated for 300 pounds. You will float higher and have better maneuverability.

If you need any input on waders, fins and other accessories, come on over to the float tube board and post up any questions you might have. It's better to do it right...and safe...than to learn bad habits or put you and your tackle at risk.
[signature]
hey f4f i have that exact tube and i love it. it holds me just fine and i'm q 200 lber. i paid $95 for it 2 yaers ago and it came with the fins. so i think you found a nargain. snatch that thing up quick dude. you'll love it
[signature]
I fished out of a tube just like that for several year and had no troubles with it,other than getting out of it to pee every hour or so!!and yes make sure your fins are tied on or they float!!"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
Hi all. I went down to the Garts in murray (5400south 900east). They had a bunch of them for 40.00, although while I was there 3 guys came in and bought 6 of them so that tells me they are a killer sale. I, however, opted for a different one that supported more weight. It is the Outfiters Expedition Eagle. I am going to test it out this weekend and will tell all what I feel it is worth.
[signature]
How much you pay for it? I know it was on sale also. I got the outfitters expedition pioneer and love it. It's the green one with the foam seats, pontoon style. The only drawback I see to my tube is that it is somewhat heavy to carry long distances. I got a bargain though for $69.00 so had to purchase it.
[signature]
[cool]We have been doing reviews on the various makes and models of float tubes over on the float tubing board. There is an opinion that the Outfitters Expedition craft are made by the same "offshore" manufacturer as the Trout Unlimited tubes and 'toons. They are virtually indentical to the Kennebec and the Togiak from Trout Unlimited. However, they do not come with the same warranty.

Bottom line: The materials and construction are good and the sale prices at Gart make them even better bargains.

One word of advice: Always fill your air chambers up until the cover is tight. This may mean that you have to "top them off" after putting them in cold water and having them shrink a little. A rigid air chamber will fish better and you can move it through the water easier, with less effort. And, if you start out with a tight cover, a slow leak is easier to detect so that you don't have to "walk back to shore".

The standard "round boats" usually have a tire tube as an air chamber, and you can air them "to the max" with a tire pump. Some of the newer vinyl and urethane bladders can also be filled with high volume air pumps. But, the valves on many vinyl and urethane bladders are filled with lung power and it is difficult to get them very tight-full. However, if you go out in the morning, on a day that gets hot and sunny, you may have to release a little pressure if the cover gets too tight when the chambers swell in the heat. And...ALWAYS let out some air before you stuff your craft in the back of a hot vehicle for the ride home. Otherwise, that explosion you hear behind you might make you think you have just taken a hit from a "rocket propelled grenade".
[signature]