Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern California Saltwater Report 7/16-22

Hey there guys,

Southern California Saltwater

Report for July 16, 2003 (Wednesday)

This is starting another week of Saltwater reports focusing on the open-party overnighter, 1/2 and 3/4 day reports.

Way Up North- Aliva
Very Good Salmon fishing for Cris's and well as nice rockfing at this and other landings.

Up North-Channel Islands
Nice WSB counts as well as bass and rockfish. There's always some halibut and white fish mixed in as well as barracuda occasionaly.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Overnights are doing OK but the boats aren't just loading up because they are there. Boats getting mostly 1's and 2's on both YT and WSB.

Further South-Clemente
Bite is good for the boats that go there. I have access to little information on the island. Sorry.

San Diego-Local
The focus of SD is on Albacore but the local bite is OK going from limit fishing to lousy.

LA Local
Jump on a 3/4 and you've got a good chance at limits of sandies as well as some calicos and barracuda. Most of the good counts are coming from landing from San Pedro to Dana Point.

I got limits on the Pierpoint today for sandies and had an absolute blast.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for July 17, 2003 (Thursday)

Way Up North- Aliva
Good fishing again for salmon and various rockfish.

Up North- Channel Island
Catalina WSB and calico bite was still good although 1's and 2's still were the rule.... with some exceptions.

Further South- Clemente
Anybody want to volunteer info?

San Diego- Local
The albie count for the one dayer's is good with the local bite on the bass down and usually about half a limit if that.

LA Local
Limit fishing for 1/2 day and 3/4 day boats today. Just awesome fishing. Every single run at Berth 55 either hit limits or average over 10 fish per angler. Everybody needs to go on a boat from a landing south of point fermin to be just about guarranteed a limit on sand bass and a good shot at a bunch of barracuda.

Bait is 2 inch chovies at some receivers so you must, have to, should, am required to bring plastics. If you don't fish plastics.... start or.... you'll be sorry.

Kalins swimbaits are really doing the trick but I'm sure FT's and BH's will work to some degree. Use the painted heads with eyes as I was getting bite 5 to 6 to 1 on the more expensive leadheads. Blue and Green were good head colors. Nice grade of fish yesterday around 3 to 4 pounders common.

Albacore fishiing is awesome right now with the overnights in SD doing great!

JapanRon
[signature]

Report on July 18, 2003 (Friday)

Way Up North- Avila
Chris's was doing great on the salmon and rockfish. Others doing OK.

Up North- Channel Islands
Everybody did great especially the WSB, Wow!!!

LA Area-Catalina Island
I think a lot of boats are going for the 1 day albacore runs so there are not that many boats at Catalina.

San Diego- Local
Albacore bites are awesome and the local bite is excellent to scratchy depending on the area. No consistancy I can see.

LA Local
Same old story guys. Sand Bass biting everywhere below Point Fermin. Just Go dang it!! No whining later!

tubinjoe mentioned the green and silver sparkle whams and I saw a lot of guys get bit on those. The blams (paddle tail) didn't do nearly as well although the body shape is nearly the same.

Ya Know What, I don't remember doing that well on the Sandies (main fising method was doing an intermediate drop and retrieve) with the paddletail swimbaits. I'd stick with the Kalins (with the very small paddletails) and the whams. Didn't try the AA's yet because the only sizes I have of them are the 2 1/2 inchers and 3 inchers.

Good luck I'll be on the boats Tuesday and Wednesday.

Boats are going for albies from Long Beach and Orange County landing and doing very well. Hope that lightens the 3/4 day boats! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
the brown bait and sardine colored plastics have been working well for me too. I have not caught nearly as many fish on them as the whams. I dont know if it is the plastic or the head. I use a cotee lead head. yellow with the red eye. it works great, but I only use them on the whams.

joe
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for July 19, 2003 (Saturday)

HIGHLIGHTS....

There's squid in selected local receivers!
White Sea Bass fishing just exploded Up North yesterday!
Albacore on the chew! If you have to swim, I'd go if I were an albie angler.
San Bass Bonanza continues and SMB may start to see the sandies pretty soon with counts getting better.

Way Up North- Avila
Slowed today. Chirs's boats always seem to go out.

Good WSB and bass and rockfishing. I wanna ride the Island Tak someday.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Good bites on the WSB and Calicos but ya gotta move around a lot in search of quality.

Further South- San Clemente
Freedom did well on the WSB and the Calicos. Lots of good Calico fishing there with YT showing but not biting. (What else is new?!)

San Diego- Local
Everybody in that town is albacore nuts so just go! On the local scene the bass counts range from 5 fish per rod to limits.

LA Local
With all due respect, take a weekday off if you can guys! I wouldn't fight the crowds for fish. Lots of the boats are crazy loaded 70 to 90 people today on a 65 foot or less boat can't be a decent laid-back fishing experience. 400 angers (no kidding) charging a landing must be a real scary sight for anybody. Except the owner of course! ha ha ha

One boat I know... I'll bet the only reason they got only half limits is because the boat was over, over loaded over there.

Oh ya, heard from the Blue Horizon and 13 guys bagged over 35 albies yesterday! Cool! I remember fishing that boat before it went to SD for the summer.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hi there DH tubinjoe,

Right now I'm using the yellow AA w/eyes heads with the lime green and sparkle whams and those work great. I'm using the cootee triangular heads in a brown w/eyes for the brownbait 'sowbelly' (scales are different sizes) Kalins and a pearl and blue one with a red nose for the fine-scaled sardine/channel chovie swimbaits. (really silvery sides with a blue back)

Plastics are fun.

One thing I hate about whams is that the way I fish them, barracuda like them too much.

Do you use an under weight leadhead for the size plastic you're using? I do because I believe that the swimbait does a better job covering the water column.

JapanRon
[signature]
actually I do. I use a 1/4 ounce lead head for everything, unless it is a really big bait. I do it for the same reason.

joe
[signature]
I fish the storms and the big hammers lately not much luck with the wams

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report on July 20, 2003 (Sunday)

Sandy bite still going strong. I couldn't believe my eyes last week when I saw the New Del Mar out of MDR on the Huntington Flats but they were out there again today. WHAT A RIDE!!!! HA HA HA

MANY, MANY BOATS WERE PACKED WITH ANGLERS.... LIKE 400+ ON SOME LANDINGS!

Way Up North-Avila
Good fishing today!!

Not fantastic but a good mixed bag of fish with per rod number looking like around 5 or 6 average.

LA Area- Catalina
Calicos had to maintain there good pace. Some WSB.

Outstanding fishing on the Calicos with a few WSB and I guess lots of barracuda too.

San Diego- Local
Albies going crazy and local bite so so with another 5 fish per rod average day on the 1/2 and 3/4's.

LA Local
I guess everybody hit the Huntington Flats for the sandies. I hear the calicos are pretty good on the horseshoe if you hit the right place at the right time.

Boats packed with passengers at most landings.

JapanRon
[signature]
thats all I get bit on aaron. after you let it sink to the bottom. try a slow and steady retrieve back to the boat without putting the reel in freespool.

joe
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for July 21, 2003 (Monday)

EVERY LANDING BUT MDR AND REDONDO GOT 1000+ SANDIES TODAY.
ALBACORE BITE FOR MULTI-DAYS STILL GOING STRONG.
3/4'S LIKE THE VICTORY AND PREMIERE GET LIMITS ON SANDIES AND A GOOD BARRIE BITE TOO!

Way Up North- Avila
Good rockfish but few salmon

Great WSB bite with rockfish counts good.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calico fishing good with a mixed count on WSB.

Calico fishing very good.

San Diego- Local
Albacore fishing good with bass fishing ranging from limits to 3 fish per rod.

LA Local
Landings with boats fishing south of Rocky Point did great on the limits of sandbass, ok calicos, and steady barracuda fishing.

I'm going tomorrow and the next day yahoo. Will report on how I did only fishing with the little rubber fishies.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey there guys

Report for July 22, 2003 (Tuesday)

This is the last report for this 7 day period. A new report (7/23) will start tomorrow.

Overall, signs that the sandbass run is starting to wane, or at best is slowing for the next wave, starting from down south.

Way Up North-Avila
Counts of salmon and rockfish slowed down.

White Sea Bass fishing is really great. The rockfishing is good.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calico fishing good for those that go. A lot of boats are staying in close for the sandbass bite or looking to do albie trips.

Further South-San Clemente
Calico bass bite still very good with YT showing but skittish.

San Diego- Local
Albacore bite is still going full blast so that's the towns main activity.

LA Local
Many 1/2 and 3/4 boats at landings south of Point Fermin are getting limits of sandies and good numbers of barries. There is a decent calico bite too for those that don't go to Huntington Flats. ha ha

Going out tomorrow (Wednesday) again! Ye ha!!!

JapanRon
[signature]