Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadkill
I know that this is a hunting rather than fishing q, but is it illegal to pick up roadkill?
thanks
[signature]
Your best bet would be to call the UDWR, ask for a CO and get the information straight from the guy or gal who deals with wildlife rules/violations. Instead of hoping someone on here is the authority.
[signature]
As far as I know you can pu roadkill as long as you report type, location, etc. You are not allowed to keep antlers, must surrender them to the state. Maybe the rules have changed though, I would ask the DWR like has already been suggested.

I have seen people picking up elk and deer recently struck by trucks on the way to the Gorge and that is why got curious about it too. I think the DWR is more concerned with people catching a disease from them if the organs are injured or brused. I know people collect roadkilled rabbits for their dogs, and it is possible that they have tulerimia.
[signature]
But like a red fox just to learn how to skin animals is okay?
[signature]
there are people that drive around with those gigantic kid killers on the front of their trucks for the sole purpose of running over deer and elk in the road. they then contact the DoW, report time, location, etc... if what ever they hit has antlers they do what ever it is they do, then pack the freezer with meat for the winter.... they actually do this 2 or 3 times a year lol.

oh yea this is usually in south central/kindasouthwestern CO.
[signature]
If you are asking specifically about red fox or coyote, they are not protected and there is no limit on harvest or license required. Therefore, you can pick up anything you want. For protected species (which is about everything else) you should follow the route already suggested about contacting the DWR before moving the animal.
PS: Striped skunks are not protected either.
[signature]
If you see a dead buck on the road, most likely the antlers will be gone within the hour. People hack the heads off and sell them all the time. You can get good money for them. If you call the DWR they will come and take the animal and keep the head to sell at auction.

In some cases the DWR will cut the head off and leave the rest of the deer to rot on the road. I turned in a dead buck for this and the CO just kicked the carcass off into the brush and kept the antlers. What a waste of my time!

So what's the difference if you keep antlers or the DWR keeps them?
[signature]
Well naturally the DWR wants to keep them...more money in the governments pocket means more useless crap they buy and the more likely they are to get a brand new truck next year. I have a hard time driving by a dead buck and not cutting off the antlers but usually don't...but i never leave the ivories in an elk i find they always come home. It's too bad that you have to worry about it being legal to keep an animal that's otherwise going to rot and waste.
[signature]