Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Bow for Elk
Multiple answers are allowed. Please select your bow and the weight.
[signature]
I think any of the following with do the job. Shot placement is what counts. [Wink]
[signature]
I agree with hookjaw. I've seen elk taken with 45 recurve and longbows and homemade cedar shafts with solid 2-blade zwickeys. However the higher poundage and faster your bow is can help your success. Less arrow drop means more margin of error with longer range shots. If the elk is 45 and you guess 40 and make a good shot for 40 you are more likely to have a good hit still if your arrow is dropping less than a lighter poundage. and quartering shots are much safer to take with the arrow penetrating much farther. Also if your arrow passes through that means two open wounds for a much easier to follow blood trail if the animal makes it aways off or into thick cover. I shoot a 70 lb bowtech gaurdian with a 385gr arrow traveling 304 fps. Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Which bow is best? Which ever one you shoot the best with!!
Shot placement in the biggest key.An arrow that penetrates the chest cavity 6 inches is just as deadly as one that passes through both sides. Blood trailing is the difference there. A bad hit because of shotty placement will lead to miles of trailing, and most likely no recovery.
Practice, Practice, Practice, and stay within your effective range no matter how big the bull or how tempting the shot may be!!

And to answer your question; 400gr arrow tipped w/G5 Montec, cruising at 318fps from PSE X-force Omen, 65#, & 29" draw length.
[signature]