Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HT, and Humminbird
I bought a Ht ice auger about a month ago and it worked really well the first two time out, we went to fish lake last week and it took 45 minutes to drill two holes, the blades were knicked and dinged up i don't pound them on the ground and put the cover back on after the holes were drilled,

i sharpened them and hope they work,, was wondering if anyone has used this auger it is a HT 8" hand auger and any problems with it

i also just bought a humminbird 130 fish finder will use it on the ice and in the summer clamp it on the back of my rowboat has anyone used this fish finder and any problems they have had with it so i can watch out for them
[signature]
[quote aceman698]i sharpened them and hope they work,, was wondering if anyone has used this auger it is a HT 8" hand auger and any problems with it.[/quote]

I have been using a borrowed HT Polar 8" this season and I have experienced the same problem. I made the mistake of not being gentle with it by using it as a walking stick, getting knocked around on the ice, etc. Also, I used it to open previously drilled holes, which I was told (after the fact) was a big no no.

I plan on "sharpening" it with a dremel, a chrome polish, and a fabric buffing wheel. I'll let you know how it goes. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy new blades before I return it to my neighbor.

I have put in an order for a Nils Master hand auger from Cabelas, but it is on back order so I might not have that until next ice season. I've read on redrockstore.com that an 8" Nils cuts 26" of ice in 22 seconds and the blades last for several seasons. I'll take that over 10 minutes to cut through 10" of ice from the HT.
[signature]
I sharpened my auger with a wet stone and it was better then new, fish finder worked better then expected we went to fish lake and drilled several holes moving around with few bites until about 1:30 got into twelve feet of water and caught around 50 perch brought 35 home for the deep fryer
[signature]