Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
air pump
what kind of pump are you guys using to air up your tubes on a budget at this point so looking at a hand pump i might need to air up and deflate between trip so need something that airs up a tube fast with minimal effort thanks

chris
[signature]
I used to only use a foot style pump, however when I bought my toon, it came with a double action hand pump. I actually like this one a little better. The hand pump I have is a coleman, and the foot pump is a sevlor. They both can be had for around 15 bucks. If you really need to save space, a foot pump is the way to go.
[signature]
[cool]What kind of valve do you have? For those that have inner tube air chambers, you need to use the same thing you would use to inflate a tire. And, as has been suggested, a lightweight foot pump is a good bet both for price and wieght. I always carry a portable compressor, that operates on my 12 volt system in my vehicle, when it is plugged into the lighter socket. You can hook it up and let it run while you are getting your other gear ready. Just be sure to keep an eye on it or you will pop the tube or rip a seam.

If you have that kind of tube, it is also a good idea to carry a lightweight bicycle pump in a pocket somewhere on your craft. If you spring a slow leak, or lose pressure in cold water, a few strokes from the bicycle pump will have your cover tight again.

If you have vinyl or urethane air chambers, there are several different kinds of valves. My Outcast Super Fat Cat has a "Halkey Roberts" valve, that comes with a special locking adaptor for airing it up with a pump. My Kennebec, and several other vinyl air bladder craft, use a "Boston" valve. These are typically half inch stem valves than can be inflated with lung power, but will take more pressure when aired up with a pump.

There are several models of high-volume, two way pumps available wherever air-filled goodies are sold. Wally World (WalMart) has a lightweight functional model for about $6. It is red plastic and serves both as the primary air pump for TubeBabe's Fat Cat, and a spare we take out for "topping off our tank" when we have a pressure loss in cold water.

Most high volume pumps come with several adaptors, to fit the various valve sizes and models. However, you may have to purchase a short length of 1/2" clear vinyl flexible tubing to complete the system. Outcast includes a 2" piece along with their Halkey Roberts valve connection, just to insure being able to make the pumps work without additional purchases. Most other manufacturers kinda leave that up to chance.

Give me a description of your craft and the type of valves you have and I can provide a better suggestion on getting properly pumped. Also, if you would like, I can shoot some digital pics of the pumps, adaptors and vinyl tubing arrangements I have for my craft. That's one element of this kinky sport I have not addressed in previous threads, so I probably should do that. Once we progressed beyond the old inner tube donut, things got a bit more complicated.
[signature]
[cool]Well, I felt motivated, so I shot a couple of pics. Here's a bit more on some non-inner tube valves.

The first pic is a closeup of the Halkey Roberts valve on my Fat Cat. I didn't like it when I first tried to air it up by lung power alone. I about got a hernia (or a HISnia), and the cover was still not as tight as I like. And, as soon as I put my cat in the water, it lost some pressure and I had to huff and puff some more. I finally got smart and spent about $20 on a good Stearns two way high volume pump...in the next pic. I now love these valves. The little yellow knob can be twisted after pushing and it will hold open and totally deflate the craft in less than a minute. It is a pressure activated valve, for filling, and closes in between bursts of air inflow. If you pause for a moment, it does not release air on you. The connector locks in place and the whole thing just works great.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2698176.jpg]

The next pic shows two different types of high volume air pumps. The bigger one is the Stearns I bought for my Fat Cat. The smaller one came with the used Cat TubeBabe acquired. It is stocked at WalMart for only about $6, and is both lightweight and functional. Most pumps come with several adaptors to fit different types of valves. The 1/2" vinyl tubing is a good thing to have both for connecting the pump to the connector and to air up "Boston" valves...which usually have a 1/2" outside diameter, and are usually filled with lung power.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage270391.jpg]

The final pic shows the pump hose connected to the vinyl tubing, and the vinyl tubing fit over the end of the Boston Valve on my inflated seat air chamber. The Boston Valve is common on many air chambers of the newer Uboats and mini-pontoons. You can get them fairly tight with lung power, but a couple of strokes with a good pump will do a better job.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage2714766.jpg]

Hope this helps. Post up any followup questions.
[signature]
I use my trusty lungs! haha

joe
[signature]
hi all and thanx for your input i bought one of the caddis nevada float tubes on sell here in utah i believe it has a boston valve ? same as any beach ball the high volume two way pump are what i was looking at i was thinking a good set up to invest in ( when i can ) would be one of those little air tanks you fill up and carry in yor car for emergency air would fill a tube in a heart beat what do you guys think for tubedude any info you want to send me about tubing would be great again thanx guys

chris

aquaman84115@yahoo.com
[signature]
Chris,

I just bought a pump from checkers the auto parts store. It's called the inflation machine and was on clearance for $19.00. It's 12v with the car lighter adapter has a high pressure hose for filling up tires and a high volume hose for inflatables. Comes with a few attachments and one fits the boston valve on my tube perfectly. Also has the flashlight and safety lights built in and a "deflation port". They had two or three more left.
[signature]
hi al thanks for the info which checkers was it most times clearance items are in store or that store only there is a checker about 1/2 mile from my work maybe i'll stop and check that tonight
[signature]
It was the checkers on 5400 S near Bangeter Highway
[signature]