Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tubes and wader...safe combination?
I've been giving it some thought and was wondering if it is really safe to wear waders in a float tube. If you were to fall off or turn over wouldn't the waders fill with water and drag you under?

I've heard stories of guys with waders walking into "holes" and drowning after thier waders fill with water. Neoprene waders make you more bouyant because neoprene like all ruber floats but is that enough to counter the effects of a wader full of water?

Wondering if anyone has any experiences with the above senario or any safety recomendations for waders on a float tube. The obvious would be to wear a life jacket but all the tubers I have seen don't.
[signature]
I have always wondered that as well. And now that I am going to give this tubin and fly fishing a whirl this would be nice to know. Also wondering what are some of the best/most comfortable PFD out there for float and river wading use?
[signature]
I have an idea.... dont fall out! haha. sorry to make fun. yes, the waders do create a possible problem, but most waders that I have seen are easy to get in and out of. also, if you wear a belt that fits tightly around your chest, the belt will prevent water from going down into your waders. however, the lifejacket is the best solution.

I have been in that scenario. I was tubin out in cabrillo beach in san pedro one day with my friends and we thought we'd take our chances with the waves. bad idea. the waves weren't very big, but big enough to tip your tube. haha.well anyways, I got out there half way to the breaking point, and then the set of big waves came. just at the wrong time. my tube flipped, my waders filled up with water, and I lost my rod. Oh well. this happens. I wish I had had that belt on my chest. but I had my life vest on so I wasnt sinking.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Flipping your tube over is a natural concern...ONLY IF YOU HAVE NOT SPENT A LOT OF TIME ON THE WATER IN ONE. I have been "flotation fishing" for over 40 years, and I have never seen or heard (from reliable witnesses) of anyone flipping a tube.

I have seen some folks go butt over teakettle while launching or beaching. This usually happens when you are tired, not paying attention, don't have your craft properly postiioned, have rough or muddy bottom, etc. If you pay attention to the business at hand, and don't take any uneccessary risks (got that, Joe?), you are infinitely safer in a tube than a canoe...and even in a lot of small boats.

On the outside chance you poked a hole in your air chamber and were losing air faster than you could make it to shore, you may have a potential problem...if you were not wearing a waist belt and/or a PFD. As Joe mentioned, a waist belt, such as those worn by wading fly fishermen, can help keep your "engine room" from getting flooded. The flotation will keep you on top of the water, even if you do get some water in your waders. At the very worst, you will only have a slightly less than neutral bouyancy. And, with fins, you can power yourself along well even while dragging a semi deflated tube.

I know. I have tested my theories. I have tried unsuccessfully to execute a backflip while seated normally in a float tube. Now, if you want to work yourself up into a sitting position on the back of the craft, then the center of gravity is wacko and you deserve what you get. I saw a fishing buddy prove this point one time while trying to fill a plastic bag with "bilge water" while a long distance offshore, rather than letting go in his waders. An ill-timed boat wake ([url "mailto:#$@*%"]#$@*%[/url] water skiers) dumped him backwards as slick as can be. The rest of us scrambled to hold up scoring signs for the dive, but he wasn't happy with his first place position.

I have also purposely let the air out of my tube, and managed to get everything back to shore. I just leaned over backward and threw a roostertail all the way in. All that without extra air chambers or a PFD.

So, your craft are inherently safe. But, it is wise to be prepared for any possible disaster. It is better to have a PFD and not need it, than to need it and not have it. There are some that are fishing vests with builtin flotation. Others are self inflating, with a mouthpiece with which to air it up. Still others have small CO2 cylinders, which inflate your vest at the push of a button...or pull of a pin.

So, having a rollover accident is the least of your worries. Now, if we could only do something about the 10 to 1 factor. That is that whatever liquid intake you send down within the previous 24 hours of a float tube trip, becomes ten times the volume once you are out on the water. Never could figure that one out.
[signature]
Dangerous situations? haha I laugh at the sign of danger![sly][sly][sly][Wink] hehe. I think I am going to try it again. there is a nice kelp paddie out there about 50'x50'. there have been many white sea bass taken out of there. and there are lots of calico bass. however, this time, I am going to bring my wetsuit instead of waders.

joe
[signature]
[cool]Hey, when a dedicated fisherman knows there is a spot that holds fish, we don't rest until we have found a way to get there and work it over. I'm like you. Whenever I see some kelp within easy kickin' from the shore, I start plottin' an assault. If is is on an exposed shoreline, with surf being a common situation, then I work with the weather forecast and the tide chart to hit it when the conditions are best.

Early morning on a low tide...with a slight offshore breeze...is the best time to launch. Getting out through the waves is tougher than getting back in. Heck, to get back in all you gotta do is "hitch a ride", and hope you don't tumble...like you did. Be sure all your gear is zipped up or tied down and hang ten. You will be okay coming in until it gets shallow. Then you have to get on your feet and hold everthing together in the slop until you can shuffle up on the beach. That is easier said than done. Timing is everything. Plan to get some salt and grit in your gear and be sure flush it with fresh water as soon as possible.

The wet suit is a great idea. More complete protection and also provides floatation...if you don't wear a weight belt. Just don't go crazy and attack a big south swell...just to prove you are tough. We don't want to read any more posts about losing gear...or losing members.
[signature]
haha that wouldn't be good! I am not that crazy[crazy]! but we WILL try again. We WONT let Cabrillo Beach beat us.

I never thought about checking the tides and everything beforehand. good idea. thanks.

joe
[signature]
Tube In our boxers!!! hahahaha

Aaron
[signature]
I think I might just use my wetsuit. Jess had a much better idea than us THAT day. I dont know about any other time though.

joe
[signature]
hahaha

i hear you

Aaron
[signature]
There are a couple of things to consider when waders fill up. If your in deep enough water, as Tube Dude said, you have a little more weight than you normally would. It is like when you dunk a cup in the kitchen sink, after it is completely submerged it is more neutral than anything. Most people talk like waders full of water act like an anchor, in my experience, that simply isn't true. It can be difficult standing up when you get closer to shore because the water in the waders is no longer 'neutral.' But if you can stand up close to shore you can start bailing water out before you get too top heavy.

Full waders do add a substantial amount of drag IF 1: you don't have a wading belt on and now your waders have turned you into a human drift sock: OR 2: Your waders are very loose around the top which have the same effect as point 1.

It is the drag factor that is so dangerous on rivers. A couple of summers ago I took a "swim" in my neopremes, wading shoes, flyrod, and full vest on a local river. My waders are pretty snug so I fortuneately didn't turn into a drift sock. I was able to swim just fine and get out okay (that was without my 15" fins on). My buddy, who also took a swim trying to help me, and I got out, wrung out our clothes, and jumped back into the river. I'm glad I did, I caught the biggest brown trout on the river after my swim (20" browns on size 20 hooks). Maybe the swim took all of my scent away[Wink].

Best of luck to you! And by the way, I always have a PFD on when on my pontoon. It is a little hotter in the summer, but my wife doesn't worry near as much when I go out by myself. Happy wife = more fishing time for me. So I'll live with my life vest sweat mark.

See you on the water,

ES
[signature]