Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake trout fishing
Okay all. This is the year that I have tried alot of different fishing in Utah. I have been after wiper, walley, perch, bass and the old tiger. I would like to start tracking after lake trout/mac. Wondering when are the best times for those guys and what are the best techinques and areas you all have fished for them. I know that they are deep and I have read that jigging is one of the best ways to get them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
[signature]
Where's BLM when you need him?

I'm no expert by any stretch. I jig for them on the gorge. From what I've seen, jigging is a good way to catch numbers of small lakers, and the occassional big fish. Trolling produces larger fish pretty consistantly up there.

I use 4-6 inch tubes with 1/2-2oz. weights depending on the conditions. Increase your weight as much as needed to keep it as vertical as possible. I add a peice of sucker meat, but have been told that the bigger fish come without the meat. I have been trying to make and use the 10-12 inch bunny hair jigs that doug Miller keeps showing without any success as of yet.

1/2-1oz. castmasters and spoons work quite well also. I have some 1oz. bucktail Castmasters from Sportsmans. Some days that will just outshine everything else in the boat. Other days I can't buy a bite on it.

On a darker, overcast day, I have found that stuffing one of the small lightsticks inside of the jig with the weight can increase the number of strikes.

I am convinced that electronics play as much a part as anything. I upgraded mine to get better resolution, but also increased my cone angle. Mine is at 22 degrees. At 100' deep, I have a cone twice the size of my boat. The fish that I could not see before, I can see now, but have no idea where to fish them. I paid $220 for my Garmin. The 8 degree cone kit is $180. I think I'll just buy a Lowrance like I had planned on buying when I let myself get talked into the garmin. It is a great unit for shallower water. I love it for Walleye fishing in 40 feet or less. It just doesn't suit my needs in deeper water.

Now I'll let someone that actually has a clue help you to actually catch something.
[signature]
[#ff0000]I would suggest bribing BLM![/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Everything I know is on the Bear Lake Archives Board. There is a wealth of information on Bear Lake tactics. After you look thru it and have any specific questions, then ask. I'd be glad to help you learn to fish Bear Lake.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]IFG and a few others would be good resources for other waters. There are some good posts out there on this General Discussion Board that deal with lake trout on the Gorge and Fish Lake. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think it's time to get another archive board or two. I'll see if we can get a Gorge Archive Board going.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I definitely will second a Gorge archive
[signature]
I catch them at the Gorge trolling--large pop gear and redside minnows behind downriggers plowing bottom. Go just fast enough to turn the blades.