Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Mtn. Lakes
Hey everyone I am trying to plan a flyfishing trip this year to Boulder Mtn. for some of those big beautiful Brooke Trout. I was hoping somebody would have some great information on a good lake that I could go to. Ive been looking at the maps and there are so many lakes that I have no idea where to start. Thanks very much for the help!!
[signature]
Take a wheeler and get way back in there. There are lakes all over the place but I wont be telling you on an open board where the good ones are. If you get a trail map for 4 wheelers it will help you find good lakes that you can hike into after driving a couple miles in. Take some wooly buggers. Olive, black, rust, any combo of natural colors kill it. If you have a hard time finding lakes to fish send me a PM and I might help you out a little more. It will be more rewarding if you do some research on the areas. If your not able to get a wheeler down there be prepared to walk your butt off to find some of the nicer lakes with the bigger fish in them. I stumble on new lakes every time I am down there. Good choice and good luck.
[signature]
Make sure you get an up-to-date ATV trail map for the area down there. They have closed some previously opened trails and opened some previously closed trails in an attempt to centralize the traffic. Also, if you are going to ATV down there, please follow the rules. I love to ATV. But I can't stand a portion of the ATV community who think they can ride anywhere and everywhere and tear up pristine areas that are closed to ATV's.

There are some more generally known lakes down there, Blind, Donkey, etc. You will probably have a hard time getting people to spill the beans on backcountry lakes. I would suggest getting a solid map, studying it, and asking in PM/email about specific lakes if you want the best results. Most Boulder pro's keep the info pretty close to their hearts.
[signature]
[quote FOD]Take a wheeler and get way back in there. [/quote]

As Tyson mentioned, please make sure that you know and understand where it is legal and where it is illegal to ride your ATV. A pretty good place to look for that info would be here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/projects/MTP/index.shtml
[signature]
Dont take this the wrong way but just so you guys know I dont ride off the trails and I do know what ones are open too ,thanks for the link its a good one, but I think you should be responding to the guy who started the thread. He might not have been there yet. I do ride the wheelers to the end of the road and there is usually a hiking trail that takes you to the lakes themselves. One good thing about doing that is if your going to take a float tube(which I highly recommend) you only have a mile or so hike to get it in there instead of a 10 or so mile hike.[Wink]

Sorry Ohwow I meant to send you that PM the other day. PM sent.

Believe me you guys I do know the importance of staying on the designated roads. People that abuse the right to do so will eventually ruin it all for everybody else. Thanks for the heads up though.[cool]
[signature]
FOD, I wasn't intending on replying to you. I haven't mastered the "reply to" mechanism on this forum yet. I just reply to the last post. I was offering the advice to the person starting the thread.

I wouldn't accuse someone I don't even know of doing a specific act such as riding off legal trails. There are definitely those who do it, but I wouldn't suggest you were one of them just off the top of my head. Just was giving general advice/warnings for ATV'ers, especially in that area where a portion of the legal trail system has changed in the last year.

Thanks for posting the link PBH. That will be helpful to all of us. I'm not a Boulders pro, but the little time I've spent there was incredible. I hope that place can stay that way forever.
[signature]
[cool]
[signature]
If you don't mind too much could I get a PM also?

My husband and I are looking at spending a few days down in the Boulders on our way down to Phoenix to visit. (The long way around!) We are from Idaho but have family in Utah and Arizona so we are looking at some hiking and fishing destinations. I have been looking at the Boulders for awhile so would appreciate some tips on what to use and some productive areas to go. Maybe even some idea of areas that have stunted fish etc.

How rough are the 4 wheeler trails? Steep?
Thanks!
[signature]
Im with everybody else on this.

I would definitely recommend a tube on these lakes. Most of the ones I have been on are full of weeds and grown in on all sides. Usually I have to paddle 10-30ft out just to get to open water.
I think my hot nymphs would be Wooly Buggers, large pink scuds, bh hare's ears, and bh prince. I also take plenty of big black ants.
[signature]