Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed. I'm going to the Spanish Fork river where it enters UL.
Saturday afternoon I'm heading out the the Spanish Fork river where it enters the Lake. I plan on launching my little port-a-bote up the river a ways and pitch a jig all the way down and then I want to bounce something off the bottom as I do a little trolling once we hit the lake. It's surprising how far out you can go before you hit ice. Ideally i'd like to get into some LMB and some walleye, but I understand that it might be the wrong season for those, but any advice on lures, tactics, etc. would be really appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
My advise is to try it from May 30-September 30 [Wink]
[signature]
The storms are not going to help much and I dont think you will make it too far into UL. I have not herd too many good reports coming from UL for a while....Especially not for Walleye and LMB. If you still want to give it a try, I would try the same stuff as in the summer because you will be in open water. Slow green curley tail grubs tipped with something. I think the retrieve would be very slow tho. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
bass no, wall -eye, good chance. this storm is screwing things up right now for any type of open water. good luck and let us know how you do
[signature]
I appreciate the replies. My philosophy is fish need to eat to survive regardless of the season. It may not be as often but nevertheless there has been weirder things happen. The reason I even thought of going for Large mouth bass is because my buddy hooked up on one last weekend at the same location on the river but it got off. If anything we'll go for some panfish if nothing else is biting.
[signature]
Well I'm Saddened to say we didn't catch anything. Although the weather was warm and partly cloudy, and the water was pristine. Once we made it to the lake from the river, we were able to troll a large area before we reached any ice. We jigged most of the time with some gulp alive bait and we also tried some glow in the dark jigs. Once we hit the lake we set up a walleye rig and trolled with a bright red and white rapala. We had a few bites as we were jigging, but they were very light; we were unable to lip any of them. But it was fun to get out and do something about the need we had to fish.
[signature]
Glad you got out, sounds fun, although a fish would have been a nice bonus,

Shawn
[signature]
Sorry I wasnt home or near a computer to give you heads up about your tactics. Its only about 18 inch deep in most of that area. We ice fished it last week and never got a bite. My buddy waded it the other day and caught,,,cold, and one brown trout. If I was going to try that, I would go clear out to where the ice edge is and pitch a jig up onto the ice. Then slow drop it off the edge and let it sit for a while. The walleye are probably there. Cruising the ice edge. Stealth is key.
Did you see all the deer that are living down there?
[signature]
We trolled the edge of the ice most of the time with my electric motor. I think we were stealthy enough but you never know. Yeah we saw quite a few deer out there and about ten bald eagles on one tree. I have to say I've never seen so many raptors as are out there. We saw hawks, eagles, etc. It was pretty cool. By the way that walleye in your picture is a nice one! Do you get out much to focus on walleye fishing? If so I'd like some tips! I plan on hitting UL really this spring!
[signature]
Where does the Spanish Fork River access Utah Lake and how do you get there?
[signature]
It's kind of hard to describe how to get there because all the roads out there are really curvy. The location is also known as sandy beach. Its out in the township of Palmyra (by Lakeshore). I don't know how else to describe it to you. But if you went to Palmyra and started heading towards the lake you'd happen upon it eventually, really there's only one road to it so go explore. It's pretty cool out there. Also you could just do your best to follow the spanish fork river until you get to the lake. Let me know if I can help out a little more.
[signature]
Click on the link, then zoom out to see where you need to be to access the river.

[url "http://maps.google.com/...042961,0.076818&z=14"]http://maps.google.com/...042961,0.076818&z=14[/url]

It's the blue line along 3600 south. Once you have the general area in mind, zoom in to the river and follow it upstream all the way to Spanish Fork Canyon if you are interested.
[signature]