Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers through the ice
Just wondering if anyone has ever caught a wiper up at Willard through the ice. I never hear about it and think that it would be a blast if you could figure out how. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4] I don't think I have ever heard of anyone ever catching a Wiper through the ice . I have to admit , it would be a work out.[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
I have never ice fished at Wilard. But i have never heard anyone say anyrhing about catching a wiper. I have heard wilard ice fishing is usually only good for crappie in the marnia! Let me know if you try it!
[signature]
Here you go. You might have to copy and paste it.

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkUsMCFcX4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wkUsMCFcX4[/url]
[signature]
I've never tried but I imagine it could be done. I've been a member of this board for about five years or so and have read the majority of posts and I think I remember one report of wipers through the ice. If I remember correctly it was an all day trip and only one or two wipers on the ice, I think [crazy].
There is no doubt that somebody knows how to catch them on the hard deck but trying to pry that information out of them is going to be tough.
An educated guess says that they are not far from the shad but Willard is so big and flat they could be anywhere. I'm no wiper expert by any means but from my trips up there on soft water they seem to be an open water fish, by that I mean they don't hold to any type of structure. That is why so many people troll for wipers. I've caught them right next to the rocks on the dikes and out in the middle of the bath tub. Being able to troll is a great search weapon. On that note, the best bet would be to drill several holes in a straight line and work your way back and forth. If it was me fishing I'd use a chrome/white Heddon sonar tipped with a piece of chub or sucker meat.
Every ice season I've thought about going up there to try for the wipers but lack of reports and success have me kept at bay. I suppose the best way to catch a wiper through the ice is to go there and just do it. lmao, me sitting in front of the computer talking about it has got me nowhere.
If/when you do go make sure you check the ice before venturing out in the wasteland. I don't know why, I've never ice fished up there, but for some reason I don't trust the ice at Willard. Intuition, maybe I'm crazy, has kept me away from Willard ice. Something about that barren wasteland of ice gives me the heebie-jeebies. OH! and when you do catch an ice wiper I want a full report and pictures on my desk [Wink]. I've got to lay off the rum, lmao!
[signature]