Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
body boarding fins
[cool]Hey, Joe, I'm an old "son of the beach". I got the tee shirt to prove it. I have done my share of body surfing, as well as tube fishing.

For me, when I was younger, the best body surfing fins were whatever I could afford...or find in the surf after they had been torn off someone else. We have a lot more choices of styles, types and colors today, but basically a surfing fin is designed to provide extra propulsion and control in the suds without being too big and cumbersome. Too big in the blade and the tumbling surf catches the fin more...and it is almost impossible to walk in.

Tubing fins should be just the opposite...the largest blades you can operate without getting a muscle spasm or hernia. An ideal tubing fin will have a blade at least 12 to 16 inches beyond the end of the foot pocket. It will be stiff enough to provide good propulsion, but flexible enough that it is not fatiguing. With surfing fins, you kick hard and fast. Tubing fins are usually operated with long slow kicks, to maintain position or to drag bait slowly across the bottom.

Like everything else in fishing...and other areas of life...it is a matter of personal preference. But, if you are able to try some longer bladed fins, I think you will decide they are more comfortable and more efficient for a full day of fishing than the surfing fins.

We have had several past threads on different kinds of fins. The Caddis fins are a good choice for most float tube fishermen. They are affordable, light and they float if they come off. It is possible to spend way too much on fins, but you should go for fit, comfort and overall efficiency, more than just looking at the price tag.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
body boarding fins - by DH_tubinjoe - 07-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] body boarding fins - by TubeDude - 07-19-2003, 11:46 AM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] body boarding fins - by aquaman - 07-19-2003, 06:52 PM
Re: [aquaman] body boarding fins - by DH_tubinjoe - 07-19-2003, 07:33 PM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] body boarding fins - by aquaman - 07-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Re: [aquaman] body boarding fins - by DH_tubinjoe - 07-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] body boarding fins - by aquaman - 07-19-2003, 10:20 PM
Re: [aquaman] body boarding fins - by TubeDude - 07-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Re: [TubeDude] body boarding fins - by EmuScud - 07-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] body boarding fins - by aquaman - 07-19-2003, 03:38 PM