Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. George area fishing
I might be heading to St. George the first week of March on a work related deal. Would it be worth my effort to try to get some fishing in while there? I have never been in that area and have no clue if there is any place to wet a line. Any info. would be awesome. Thank you.
[signature]
There is a decent fishery up there with trout and bass. I think it is called Quail creek or Quail res. Never fished it but heard good things.
[signature]
Quail Creek and Sand Hollow are two of the best bass fisheries in the state, and both are within 30 minutes of St. George. However, the first week of March might still be a little bit early to expect "good" fishing for bass.

As previously metioned, Quail also has rainbow trout, and I've heard of some nice ones coming out of there. I haven't targeted those trout very often though.

Baker Reservoir is another place nearby that has small rainbow trout, and a few larger browns that are known for being hard to catch.

There are also quite a few community ponds in St. George if you're interested. Skyline Pond, Razor Ridge Pond, and the Upper and Lower Tawa Ponds are places to look in to.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
[signature]
go fish the golf course ponds for some nice bass i went to school down there for a yr and my friends and i would go on there after the last tee times and catch some really nice large mouth
[signature]
Quail does have both trout and bass. Sand Hollow does not have any trout. The first of March trout fishing at Quail is still good, bass fishing is slow. Sand Hollow the bass fishing isn't bad, I don't catch 30 plus fish then but I generally catch 6-8 fish around that time of the year. The good news is there isn't many of the floating juke boxes on the water. Come back in April for some more "business" and book two appointments one for each lake and really enjoy yourself.
[signature]
"floating juke boxes on the water"

I love it! That cracked me up.
[signature]
First of all, thanks to all that responded. If I indeed make it down there and get some water time I will be sure to report.

Second, after posting the initial message, I received a PM from one Michelle10 asking me to provide bank acct. info. because this person is in S. Africa and has a fortune from her murdered father that she would like to share with me. My cut would be 15% of 7.5 billion dollars. Yep, I'll get right on that one.

Questions is, has anyone else ran into that on this site? The user Michelle10 was created shortly after my initial post. Assuming it had something to do with the fact that I mentioned business in my post. Just wondering if now this site is being targeted by crooked pieces of crap to lazy to work for a living so they scam others.
[signature]
This has already been taken care of. I apologize, this does not happen often. In fact, this is only the second time in my memory something like this has happened. I was joking with fellow moderators that I was not chosen to be scammed. I highly doubt this was specific to you and more of a random occurrence. I, on behalf of BigFishTackle.com, apologize. We are a tight knit group and recognize a problem when it occurs thanks to the members.
P.S. The fish in the community ponds are going to be hungry. The small waters warm up faster and fish become more active than those in Quail or Sand Hollow.
[signature]
I will also be there the first week in March.
I just fish the Community Ponds when I'm there.
No boat or tube for the bigger water.
The Ponds are small but nice and usually full of Trout and a few nice LMB.
Fly fishing can be fun at the ponds.
[signature]
Just wondering and hopefully you will be able to share. But where are these ponds you have fished? I would love to fly fish some ponds but don't know if im going to get yelled at while doing so. Thanks
[signature]
[quote SoUBass] The good news is there isn't many of the floating juke boxes on the water. [/quote]

whats a junk box?
[signature]
The best way to locate the ponds is to use the DWR Community Fishing Booklet.
There are a lot of people that fly fish these ponds.
They are always willing to share info and help each other.
The ponds are a great place to bruch up on your fly fishing.
[signature]
Floating juke boxes are the boats that the 20 year old kids drive around fishermen. They have water bladders that they fill so the boat creates a huge wake, and towers loaded with more speakers than most car audio stores have on display. They cruise along at about idle pulling their friend "dude" around on a 1" x 12" blasting a really catchy tune by Celine Dione close enough that your polarized suglasses get misted. "Dude" generally wipes-out as he passes you so the boat turns around and pulls him by the fishing boat but something about watching someone fish causes "dude" to crash again as he passes, must be because he turned his head to see the fish being caught. Around comes his buddies to pick him up again, by now the fishing boats bobbing so much from the floating juke box the fisherman can get enough air to land a 540 spin with a bass catchy, something similar to what "dude" was trying to do. At that point they are so embarrassed that they drive away to practice, because they got shown up by a fisherman. The whole time that they pull away from you you can hear the music playing. Finally you get to where you can talk to the guy on the back of the boat. then you turn to set a new course for the trolling motor and the reason you can't hear the juke box is because they are headed straight towards you again.

These are not to be Confused with ski boats or speed boats. They have enough respect for others to give them some room, and well because there's a whole lake that they can use.

I hope that helps, and sorry for hi-jacking this thread.
[signature]
The community ponds are: Snow Canyon on Snow Canyon Parkway by the softball complex. Skyline pond on Red Cliffs Parkway, formerly Skyline Dr., by the Dixie rock and the animal shelter. Rasor Ridge pond is on Telegraph near SR-9 in Coral Canyon. Stratton pond is larger and fished less, north of SR-9 on 3700 West in Hurricane.
[signature]
Yep. That pretty much sums up Sand Hollow in the summer. If you are on the water as soon as the gates open and leave around 10am, it's great. Otherwise, you get the pleasure of meeting lot's of "dudes".
[signature]