Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning for the future
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]This might be a teensy bit early to be asking, but I'm all revved up! (I knew I should've waited another month before coming active on the boards again!)
I got $100 for Christmas, and decided to dedicate it to gas. It's not much, but better than nothing. So, I am wondering what to do. Should I stick to places I know, or try for some new places? I got more or less totally skunked last year (guided trips don't count...everybody sets things up for me, so I consider any catches to be THEIR fault!).
I was thinking maybe do a couple overnight campings at Willard, so I can do some morning and evening trips close together. The gas to get to Willard is less, so I could go there at least once a week the whole summer. OR, I could take only 3 or 4 trips to places like Utah Lake, Scofield, Fish Lake, and others that are more than 50 miles from home.
Keep in mind that my car gets 28 miles per gallon, and I have $100 to spend... I'd like to get both as much quantity as quality (meaning I actually catch something) of outtings.

I'm perfectly willing to split expenses to ride with somebody, and make moeny last longer that way...besides, fishing is funner with a partner, anyway!

So far, here's where I have good experiences - alone or with somebody else
Willard
East canyon
Newton
Utah Lake (didn't actually fish that one time, but people were catching fish from the bank, so I guess I can to!)

And I'd like to try Scofield at least once, for some Walleye

I've started working, as a freelance writer. I've already gotten 3 projects in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully, if this keeps up, I can pay off my car soon (only $500 to go, after I get paid for my current assignment), and then have even MORE fishing money! YAY!
And since it's freelance, I have an open schedule, so I can go whenever I want...as long as I don't slack off too much and fall behind.
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
[quote Vivid-Dawn]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]
And I'd like to try Scofield at least once, for some Walleye

[/size][/#000050][/font][/quote]

You are really sitting yourself up for a skunk if you try to catch a walleye at Scofield. I have never heard of walleye in Scofield. You may want to add Payson Reservoir & Smith and Morehouse to your list. Beautiful places and almost guaranteed to catch some fish from the shore.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]Oh... I could'a sworn TubeDude said it was Scofield that would be good for walleye (other than Willard of course).
Or maybe it was Starvation...?
I'm sick this week, my brain is mush...I can't think proper[crazy]

Anyhoo! It probably isn't even necessary to catch anything, but I always like to get a 'free' (minus the cost of tackle!) dinner out of a trip! [Wink]
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
That is a hard budget to live on. There are always community ponds that are somewhat close to everywhere. By the looks of your list though, it looks like you want to catch other species as well as vivit lakes that are out of the city a bit more. Some lakes have busses going right by them and I have fished that way before. There is also the Invite board and I am sure many people would be happy to share in the cost of a trip that they are already taking anyway. Some of those overnight trips sound cool because you only drive once, but you get more hours of fishing in per trip. Good luck,

Shawn M
[signature]
What are your feelings about Mantua?
I like it because there are a lot of different fish there.
As for Walleye,
I bet it was Starvation Reservoir that TD was talking about.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]I haven't been to Mantua...yet.

Why, do you want to take me?
*hint-hint, nudge-nudge, Wink-Wink* [angelic]
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]
I like the Uinta's. Lots of lakes and streams. You can explore for days and months and never hit the same place twice unless you want to. One of my favorites is Mill Hollow. It was really good last fall after it reopened, especially the evening fly fishing.
[signature]
I am seconding the Uinta's. Nobody gets skunked there, beautiful surroundings...Nature at its best. Plus, you have Tiger Trout, Albino, Grayling, Brookies, Rainbows and occasionally a rare Golden.
Camp anywhere! Thousands of rivers and small to medium lakes.
[signature]
I like to fish Mantua in the summer, from my float tube.
You can also fish there from the shore and do good.

I'll check back with you when it's closer to summer.
You will like it up there.
[signature]
more than happy to take you on a trip on Utah Lake. if you can talk that TD, Pat, into it, we'll take him along as well. Way too early to make definate plans and set a date. but i'll watch your posts and check our schedules.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey you bratty little kid, you better know that I still have adoption papers on ya. We will definitely hit someplace, sometime, somewhere and catch some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Have your peeps stay in touch with my peeps and we can synthesize schedules...or whatever.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those walleyes at Scofield....OOPS, Starvation...are waiting for ya. Got some new tactics that should work from shore in a couple of spots.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote FishingGuy]I
. I met a lot of great fisherman and some a little weird...LOL.[/quote]

I resemble that remark.[:p]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those walleyes at Scofield....OOPS, Starvation...are waiting for ya. Got some new tactics that should work from shore in a couple of spots.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Now I know that you don't like to give out your honey holes, but literally sending someone to a different lake without said fish is just plain low.[:p]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just pokin' a little fun at the Dawn girl. She misremembered the right/wrong lake when thinking about a potential walleye expedition. Wasn't tryin' to mess with anybody else. But, if you REALLY wanna try for some walleyes at Scofield you just go for it. Anybody who relishes the thought of slogging through several feet of snow and drilling through several feet of ice at Huntington deserves to go fishing for walleyes at Scofield.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Just pokin' a little fun at the Dawn girl. She misremembered the right/wrong lake when thinking about a potential walleye expedition. Wasn't tryin' to mess with anybody else. But, if you REALLY wanna try for some walleyes at Scofield you just go for it. Anybody who relishes the thought of slogging through several feet of snow and drilling through several feet of ice at Huntington deserves to go fishing for walleyes at Scofield.[/#0000ff][/quote]

You sure you're not talking about strawberry?

[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000050][size 3]LOL @ you guys!

I knew it wasn't Strawberry....all I caught there was trout. Then again, I only went once, when I was a little kid. Er... littlER...younger... whatevah!
[/size][/#000050][/font]
[signature]